A decent and viable substitute for the WTS

by greendawn 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Also any organized religious entity may be counter productive to freeing minds. Sure you might be democratic and all of that, but then it perpetuates the tendency to try and find support in a religious entity, whereas it is at best a good vehicle for that work.

We can just look at this board, it's not organized but people find support here. In the beginning it may be entirely appropriate for someone to hold your hand, but ultimately isn't the goal to have the individual stand on their own two feet?

• Rod P
    Rod P

Perhaps we are already in a kind of "network brotherhood" around the world, united in, and devoted to, the cause of "freedom from religion".

I would describe us all as part of the "Worldwide Church of Bahh Humbug!" (not about things spiritual, but about Organized Religion. The trouble begins when you start to "organize" and develop "articles of faith" and a "code of ethics" and "rules and regulations" and a list of "do's and don'ts", and so on. We spent a lot of time, energy and angst getting out of the trap; let's not fall back into another one.

I would rather be a maverick than a member!

Rod P.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Thanks for the input and let me first of all clarify that I certainly don't believe in the doctrines of the WTS -AK Jeff- instead when I was talking about spirituality I was referring to the general human need for a religious dimension in life.

The idea of organisation goes very much against the grain of perhaps all ex JWs after the grief they got from the WTS as an organised religion, and so it was with me. Perhaps you are right, human nature being what it is, something can start with good intentions and then one or other Joseph Rutherford sooner or later comes along and ruins everything. It would take genuine founders with eternal life and with the direct backing of a few legions of God's own angels to keep things straight on course in the long term.

However some loose non centralised organisation with a strict charter of conduct keeping in check those holding a limited and democratically controlled authority may be a safe game. And if bad comes to worse then the charter can include a clause whereby an organisation that is going rampant becoming unruly and obnoxious to its members will be dissolved and its assets shared out to the poor.

What is unruly and obnoxious must be carefully and concisely defined and should include things like claiming a unique superior status a la FDS, seeking to control people's lives or to punish them for so called violations of a spiritual code, suppressing freedom of speech, imposing demands of any kind, or attempting to intimidate or frighten in any way as by using religious elements and rhetoric, discouraging them from using their own critical faculties.

People should operate in a voluntary way and absolutely uncoerced. No one demands anything from anyone. Here only suggestions can be made without a will to impose. It's the antithesis of the justly hated WTS.

These are some ideas anyway, if it doesn't work then perhaps we can think of a basic structure to help more effectively those leaving the org to stand on their feet. Perhaps build a few centres of spiritual detoxification so that people can see something tangible outside the borg, that visible something in itself helps.

The point is that something organised can, if not hijacked by self seeking malicious individuals, work far more efficiently.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit