Commencement Exercises ??

by IT Support 11 Replies latest jw friends

• IT Support
    IT Support

We received the following card in the mail today from a young US friend:

The Senior Class of XX High School announces the Commencement Exercise <at time> <at place>...

She also enclosed in the envelope a couple of pretty photos of herself.

We know she's graduating high school this summer, but what does this card mean? It sorta looks like some kinda invitation... ???

Are we expected to reply? Turn up? What?? Help!!

Thanks.

• ivy
    ivy

I think it is an invitation, but concidering the distance I doubt that they expect you to show up. Custom would be to send a congratulations card with a bit of $$$.

• IT Support
    IT Support

Ivy,

Thanks for replying!

I think it is an invitation,

To what? What are Commencement Exercises?

Custom would be to send a congratulations card with a bit of $$$.

Thanks for the tip!

• blondie
    blondie

Commencement exercises are held sometimes at the school/university if they have room for all the people; others hire local facilities.

Talks given by school administration, visiting celebrities or academics, students who excelled (valedictorian/salutatorian) give speeches, sometimes the class president as well. Local community leaders may speak. Then they give out the diplomas (actually fake ones; the real ones are mailed). Graduates wear a cap and gown with a tassel on the cap. After the ceremony the tassel is moved to the other side. Parents and friends are present and many clap as their child/friend walk across the stage.

• ivy
    ivy

Commencement Exercises are just the graduation ceremony. You sit in a big room, listen to someone give an inspirational speech or two about the exciting future ahead of these potential-filled teenagers and wait while every single name is called up to take their diploma.
    It's about as fun as an assembly, although shorter.
    The idea is that the graduate has reached a milestone in life and friends and family are invited to commemorate the event.

• IT Support
    IT Support

Blondie,

After the ceremony the tassel is moved to the other side.

So it's not just us Brits who have funny old traditions?!!

Ivy,

Commencement Exercises are just the graduation ceremony.

Ok, I understand now. Thanks.

So why is graduation called a 'Commencement Exercise'?? Why don't they just call it 'Graduation Ceremony'?

Or is it unusual to call them Commencement Exercises?

• 4JWY
    4JWY
    We know she's graduating high school this summer,

Yes, the commencement exercises is the actual graduation ceremony for her entire graduating class and what you received is an announcement of such. It is generally not an open invitation to all to actually attend - most often there would be tickets for your admittance to the event enclosed if you were expected to be able to attend. There is usually a limited amount of guests each graduate can invite.

My son is graduating also next month and today he picks up his announcements to send to friends, relatives - which I hesitate to send.......because I know that many folks do feel an obligation to send $$$ and I struggle with this aspect of it. I had one relative who really flipped out when she received this announcement from my sibling as their child graduated, since none of them had ever given her the time of day what with her being a "worldly one".....and it was very obvious this was a call for cash. Depending on one's relationship with the graduate, this feeling would of course not be uniform.

I hope those we send them to will just be sharing our joy in knowing that our son actually made it to the day, despite his learning disability.

A Happy Graduation to all closing that High School chapter of their lives!

edit: I may need to go back to High School - deficient in spelling!

• hartstrings
    hartstrings
    Parents and friends are present and many clap as their child/friend walk across the stage.

I went through my entire school years as a JW and with two other JW's in my class. They graduated early because they hated school. I loved school and wanted to get a couple extra classes under my belt. When commencement day came, my parents refused to attend because it was considered worldly in my congregation. While the other two JW's were invited to participate, they were swayed by the prevailing elder body's attitude. Of course, being that I am very stubborn, I attended and brought my JW boyfriend from another cong and a friend from another cong. I received honors and wasn't about to blow off what little praise I received in my life, especially since college was completely out of the question for a future pioneer. Bleck!!! Fourteen years later, I am especially glad I attended as it was one less thing that the JW's stole away from me, I still remember my boyfriend (20 yrs old) whistling at me as I walked up to get my diploma. He, he...

When I decided to get my college degree at the age of 31 (still a JW in "good standing" but starting to see the light) my parents again freaked out. Why would I want to pursue a "worldly" accomplishment and not just aim toward pioneering again. The funny thing is I have a successful business doing what I love, but I will always regret not going to college if I don't accomplish it. I felt the opportunity was stolen from me. As all my schoolmates were partying the dorms, I was getting married and moving where the need was greater. I will never be someone who parties in the dorm, but I crave learning and plan to do it just for the experience. Does that make sense to anyone but myself??

HS

• kgfreeperson
    kgfreeperson

It not only makes sense, but you go girl!

The idea of "commencement" exercises is that this is the beginning of something, rather than the end (today is the first day of the rest of your life, kind of thing.) The older I get the more I appreciate the significance and importance of rituals marking milestones.

Fie on JWs prohibitions! (Although I know this must be congregation by congregation as I think attendance at commencement and graduation parties and gifts are common among JWs in this area.)

• IT Support
    IT Support

4JWY,

It is generally not an open invitation to all to actually attend - most often there would be tickets for your admittance to the event enclosed if you were expected to be able to attend.

No, no tickets were enclosed!

My son is graduating also next month and today he picks up his announcements to send to friends, relatives - which I hesitate to send.......because I know that many folks do feel an obligation to send $$$ and I struggle with this aspect of it.

I can understand your hesitation. But still, you must be really proud of your son. Congratulations! (Also to any others who also are about to graduate from high school.)

hartstrings,

I received honors and wasn't about to blow off what little praise I received in my life

Damn right, good for you!

I now think this is one of the most hateful aspects of JW child-raising, the deliberate withholding of praise and commendation and any sense of self-worth in our kids...

I will always regret not going to college... but I crave learning and plan to do it just for the experience. Does that make sense to anyone but myself??

I know exactly how you feel. Good luck with your plans!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit