JW Pedophile Goes To Jail

by silentlambs 20 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• silentlambs
    silentlambs

Poor WT after spending all that money on the pedophile's defense. One down 5,327 to go.....

Man convicted of sexual assault without church testimony

07/27/2001
    Associated Press Newswires
    Copyright 2001. The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
    NASHUA, N.H. (AP) - A Hollis man has been convicted of molesting twin
    sisters although his apparent admission to church elders could not be used
    in the trial.
    A jury deliberated two hours Tuesday before convicting Gregory Blackstock,
    45, in Hillsborough County Superior Court of three counts of rape. He
    already was serving a five- to 10-year sentence for sexually assaulting a
    9-year-old East Kingston girl in that town.
    Blackstock's lawyers have moved to have the latest verdict set aside. No
    date has been set for a hearing on the motion or sentencing.
    "We're fairly confident that the verdict will be set aside," defense lawyer
    Paul Garrity said. "The evidence was insufficient to support the verdict. "I
    think the judge will take a close look at it."
    Assistant County Attorney Roger Chadwick said prosecutors believed the
    evidence supported the charges.
    "Obviously, we're very satisfied," Chadwick said.
    He said it was "a tremendous relief for me given the work that went into the
    case to see the jurors believe these girls, who were so courageous to get up
    and testify."
    The girls, now 10, testified in open court.
    More charges are pending against Blackstock in an unrelated case. He was
    accused of sexually assaulting a Hollis girl, who is now in her teens,
    between 1989 and 1996. A trial has been scheduled in October.
    Judge William Groff ruled that Blackstock can't be sentenced under the
    state's "three strike's" law although he was convicted of three counts of
    rape. However, he could face an enhanced minimum sentence of 15 years for
    each charge because of his earlier conviction in Rockingham County.
    Earlier, Groff found that elders in Blackstock's Jehovah's Witness
    congregation could not be made to testify about Blackstock's statements to
    them. He cited the "religious privilege" rule, which holds that religious
    leaders can't be required to disclose a confession or other statements made
    in confidence in their capacity as spiritual advisers.
    Prosecutors wanted to subpoena a minister and elders from Blackstock's
    congregation to testify about meetings at which they discussed the
    allegations.
    Blackstock became acquainted with the girls' families while living in East
    Kingston and attending a Jehovah's Witness church there. He worked with the
    parents, and lived with the family for a period of time, Chadwick said
    during the trial.
    The sisters' mother contacted her church elders after one of the girls
    disclosed the abuse, Chadwick said. One of the elders then contacted elders
    in the Hollis congregation.
    Blackstock was accused of molesting the twins between October 1998 and June
    1999 at his mother's home in Hollis.
    The defense argued the girls' mother inadvertently misled them into making
    up the abuse charges by repeatedly questioning them and sharing with them
    her experience of sexual abuse.
    The mother spoke to the girls in general terms when she began to have
    concerns about Blackstock's relationship with them, Chadwick said. When she
    read them a children's story about sexual abuse - "No-No the Little Seal" -
    the girls confided to her about the abuse, Chadwick said.
    "She did what any mother would do," Chadwick said, adding later, "I'm glad
    the jury found that acceptable."

• Tina
    Tina

((SL))))))))
    Gratifying news indeed!
    This won't be the last either.
    I was happy to see how the Mother used specifically designed age-appropriate tools to feel out the kids.
    This ties in with what I tried to explain to dunscot.WHo has absolutely no idea about these things.
    Thank you for the update and your contined work on this issue Bro.Bowen............with much admoration and respect,Tina

• Maximus
    Maximus

Anybody want to hazard a guess as to how much money this has cost the Watchtower Society to protect "ecclesiastical privilege"?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Maximus

• Seeker
    Seeker

Interesting to see the JW defense arguing that the charges were made up by the children after being prodded by their mother who was, herself, a victim of sexual abuse. Now, while I acknowledge that it is possible for children to be misled in this manner, and therefore I acknowledge that the JW defense may have been acting in good faith, here is another possibility:

The mother was already a victim. Now the JW defense victimizes her again by implying that she made up these allegations, and that she involved her own children in the lies.

If there is even a chance that this is the case, the defense should be ASHAMED of themselves.

If this is the case, how sickening to see the WTS siding with the abuser, and victimizing the victims (both generations) yet again, while holding back evidence behind the excuse of eccliastical privilege. They are so terrified of losing this legal chip, they will run roughshod over as many victims as they need.

Again, I don't know the case details, and I acknowledge that other interpretations are possible, but that's how it appears to me given this story.

• Amazing
    Amazing

HI SL: Good post! Not only one molester down, but 70 to 150 children are now spared being victimized. Thanks. - Amazing

• ros
    ros

Besides the low-life being convicted, it is also gratifying from the standpoint that Jehovah's Witnesses who see this information will know that Watchtower attorneys defend these creeps. That otta make some of 'em go "Hmmmmm".

• hippikon
    hippikon

I fear this may go down like a lead balloon but – Even though I am totally anti religious. I do support the concept of ecclesiastical privilege. I don’t think it is the role of ministers / elders to inform the authorities. I do however think it is their role to encourage and/or insist the victim go to the authorities and seek professional help. Like wise for the perpetrator or face sanctions. Doesn’t repentance require evidence of such. Turning oneself over to the authorities is the only thing I can see that would come close to being evidence of repentance. Like most others here I know victims of molestation (one who committed suicide). I also know of another who’s life was destroyed by false accusations. The elders are not qualified to deal with these matters. The way I see it the real problem is the fact that these incidents are being dealt with internally and being covered up to protect the reputation of the congregation.

• BoozeRunner
    BoozeRunner

Good to hear that a molester is off the street, and that potential victims will be spared suffering.

Hippikon, if an average citizen witnessed or was privy to an admission of a crime, they would be subpeonaed to testify. Should that change just because they are of the clergy?

Pedophilia is a crime that seriously destroys and alters lives. It is one thing to help a person to repentance, but quite another to hide, shuffle, and protect such criminals.

I know the harm that false accusations can do-my life was pretty much destroyed by false allegations of rape several years ago by an inactive sister who suffered molestation by her OWN father, an elder who was protected by the "old boy network" within the elder arrangement. She became a multiple-personality nymphomaniac with no control over her sexuality-thus the false charges.

No anger here, but elders need to encourage victims to report these crimes to the authorities, instead of using that tired old "2 witnesses" criteria.

Boozy

p.s. No one ever tries to stop JW's from talking about how Brother or Sister "X" committed fornication, etc, etc at the risk of slandering a person, so why is this such a priority in molestation cases?

• metatron
    metatron

I hope it cost($) them plenty.

However, they succeeded in preserving eccesiastical
    privilege. My wonderment is how can courts continue to
    go along with this nonsense - allowing privilege for a
    trained clergyman or counselor is one thing - granting
    this allowance to five or ten bus driver/window washing
    pompous jerks is stretching things a bit far.

When do the courts rein in this abuse of privilege?

metatron

• Mommie Dark
    Mommie Dark

"When do the courts rein in this abuse of privilege?"

When a really good lawyer gets involved in one of these court cases and challenges them on it!

We have the WT's official mouthpieces's statement that elders are all volunteer untrained clergy... it should be possible to use that to challenge the notion that ecclesiastical privilege belongs to such as these. Until that challenge is made in court, WT will continue to hide behind that bulwark.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit