If It Is Really 'The Truth'

by Honesty 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty

Why do JW's spend so much time judging one another and tell the elders when they perceive someone breaking a WT rule? Jesus said that His followers would be recognised for the love thay had among themselves. So, what gives with this WatchTower religion?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Christianity in general supports and reinforces judgment and conditions as being the ultimate expression of love. The foundational cornerstone of Christianity is the concrete requirement to accept Jesus. or, you're s.o.l.. Perhaps the Witness's have simply refined judgment and conditional acceptance to an art.

They are simply a sick branch on a diseased tree.

j

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

THEY ARE NOT HIS FOLLOWERS, AS SIMPLE AS THAT!

OUTASERVICE

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Dear Honesty,

Please know I do not wish to offend you as a person. There is little sweetness in my heart toward religion, though I understand why people follow them. I love people, I empathize with their needs, desires and suffering; it's their unquestioned beliefs that make me puke.

j

• steve2
    steve2

The foundation of the JWs intolerance of other's beliefs is the Bible itself. Just check out what the apostle Paul said about other early Christians who did not accept his authority.

He sure as hell wasn't all lovey-dovey towards them and he spoke bluntly about the need to get rid of those whose practices went against his interpretations of good and bad.

I do not condone the loveless things that JWs and other religions do in the name of the founder of Christianity. But I don't fool myself either, by thinking that they have strayed into a totally new way of practising Christianity.

• Daunt
    Daunt

Sorry to go kind of off the topic but... if it really was the truth, why do they have to reinforce it so much? If I know something I don't say it every second. I just know. And why the need to go to the meetings constantly, if we knew it was the truth we'd know. Wouldn't have to be forced into knowing. Sheesh they freakin call it "The Truth" how insecure can you get.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Jesus said: Stop judging, that YOU may not be judged. (Matthew 7:1)

And: Whatever you wish that men would do to you, do so to them....for this is the law and the prophets (Matthew 7:12)

He also said: All authority has been given me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things. (Matthew 28:18-20)

Imagine if all people who profess to be Christians observed all the things the Christ commanded us. Recently someone suggested getting a red letter Bible, with Christs words printed in red. One of my projects will be to read only the words of Christ, without any denominational bias, and see what truths that might lead me to.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Steve:

"You must respect my authoritay!" (ever watch South Park?)

It just goes to show where people are coming from, which is the acquired, judgemental mind. You can learn anything, believe in anything, any standard - but if that truth is going to be anything more than stuff you've come to believe then it wouldn't be a matter of programming the mind. Even if it's good programming, wouldn't you think at some point you have love for people not because you were taught to, but because you just care?

Anyway real love isn't just about works anyway - like ohhh we're preaching the good news to save people, ohhh we're doing this disaster relief effort, yadda yadda. JWs like some people of other religions have this idea of their conduct being a good witness, having a good name. I remember when I was still a JW, I found this address book on the street while delivering pizza and returned it to the owner. The thought of mentioning I am a Witness in some way to give a good witness crossed my mind, but of course there is no tactful way to work that in ("by the way, I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses and that is why I am such a nice guy for returning it!" ) so that was that. Actually, it is just a matter of love speaking for itself by virtue of the act in itself in that small way. I mean really, as if some religious identity is more important than love itself. Putting the cart before the horse...

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Well said Mark

Didnt Jesus say we should give alms or good works in secret or something like that?

• Es
    Es

Because no one has a life in the "truth" and so they thrive on gossip and judgin others it gives them something to live for es

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit