Will humanity EVER outgrow God?

by nicolaou 70 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Ross,

I don't think I've been condescending, that certainly wasn't my intention and I honestly don't feel that way anyway - it's only been a year or so since I finally accepted that there is no God. For thirty years or more Jehovah God was very real to me. I prayed to him and would strongly assert that I had a relationship with him so please believe me when I say that I would never patronize or belittle another persons faith in any deity - I wouldn't. I just don't share that faith any more.

Lack of faith doesn't mean I don't feel awe at the universe and its marvels. A positive belief in the absence of God doesn't make me a less compassionate or loving man - in fact it might even suggest the opposite. I don't love people because I am commanded to or even because of the example of God or Christ but because I choose to.

That isn't to say that outstanding examples of love and sacrifice should not be held up as ideals to strive for and imitate. I may no longer believe that Jesus was the son of God but I would never disrespect what he did with his life.

'No greater love hath this that a man lay down his life for his friends'. (John 15: 13). This is the ultimate love, the greatest love, real sacrificial love and there is no greater love than this.

As an atheist I believe that.

• greendawn
    greendawn

In my view man needs to believe in a superior being to feel wholesome and it is this psychological inclination that a lot of fraudsters have exploited throughout history the WTS being a prime example. God was grossly misrepresented by such self seeking profiteers but in the future there will be a true religion in word but above all in action that will reconcile God and man.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

Had a dream in India a few years ago. No I wasn't stoned! In this dream a voice told me that humans created gods and goddesses to take the responsibility of being the highest beings in the Universe away. We are afraid of our power... The final statement of the dream was "to be truly human is to be personally responsible". So until humanity get responsible for its (our) actions,we will be stuck with our "super parents" telling us what to do, via fantastic organisations like jw's of course.........

• doogie
    doogie

Q:

Doogie - did you listen to what I was saying - I see a trend - in my life in my real world experience . That isn't sitting on some convenient internet site for me to spool out to you.

Since you seem to want to play let me give you some sites that offer some statistical points - you could have found these - though I don't see how they would affect what my or your personal experience is.

jeez, man. calm down. i'm just trying to help you out here. no one, and i mean NO ONE will take your arguments seriously if all you do is make assertions without backing them up.

and yes, you're right i could've found those sites, thank you for not making me search out references for your assertions. that is very kind.

the whole point of surveys and statistics is that yours and my own personal experiences are completely subjective and in no way representative of the whole. that's why stats are necessary when making broad claims.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nic:I don't take issue with your beliefs. They are yours, and hard won, at that. I do take issue wherever I perceive intolerance or denigration, however.
    To that end you may need to break down and spell out for me your following reply:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/90447/1519289/post.ashx#1519289

An btw, I should also highlight that the love I show is not out of compulsion, either. It's spontaneous. It's the JWs who declare that it's commanded and/or that it's an emulation of Jesus. That would not be my experience, however.

Regardless of whether an individual is a religionist / materialist / secularist / humanist / atheist / [whatever title you may apply], they no doubt have many wonderful qualities and varying levels of intelligence. Therefore, why promulgate artificial boundaries? They are surely not to be found in such things?

If that be the case, what does the thread title tell you about your opinion of "believers"? Are they somehow not as evolved as those who no longer believe? Are those who were born into a circumstance of disbelief and who never questioned it any more evolved than those who never questioned their beliefs? Maybe it's a matter of challenging preconceptions.

I would posit that nigh-on every ex-JW on this board has done so to some level, and is perhaps a little more evolved than average. I obviously cannot speak for those who come from other "faiths" or who continue to regurgitate the dogma. I might even have to question those who have exchanged one dogma for another, though IMHO it's still a step more than many take.

• zen nudist
    zen nudist

When I exited JWs, my first fear was that my life would become totally meaningless without faith or a god....but I was not finding that to be the case at all...so I had to rethink where meaning came from and I found the answer in a news article about a chess champ who beat the IBM computer program and declared that his victory felt hollow...there was no feeling of defeating an enemy or opponent as the computer did not care that it lost.

that struck a cord.... meaning comes from caring...can caring comes from awareness that our moves in life do impact our contentment for good or ill....

with each move we make we gamble on better outcomes than the present or to maintain a basically acceptable level of living... we care about the consequences of our actions....and by projection and extension we apply this to others and this is the true basis for morality, not arbitrary rules and laws of mythical gods which often contradict what we innately see and feel as the best course to take.

I found that there is no meaning OF life --that is no need to have my life judged externally by others after I have lived it and care about their verdict...but plenty of meaning found by the living....

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Nic:I don't take issue with your beliefs. They are yours, and hard won, at that. I do take issue wherever I perceive intolerance or denigration, however.
    To that end you may need to break down and spell out for me your following reply:
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/90447/1519289/post.ashx#1519289

This is what I said;

"I think it's interesting that not many believers have responded to this topic. When I believed in God the only time I put myself in a position where I needed to defend him against say an evolutionist or an atheist was on the 'door to door' work and of course that was 99% magazine presentation.

Perhaps the believing mind simply 'sidesteps' the issue of having to prove it's beliefs when it knows it cannot really do so. I submit that there is no conclusive evidence for the existence of god."

This was not an attempt to denigrate anybody or else I would clearly be guilty of self-denigration as well. I remember that whenever one of my 'worldly', 'unbelieving' relatives would move the conversation onto something like evolution, doctrinal error in the Societys teachings or past historical blunders in prophecy all I could think of was how to get out of the room as quickly and politely as possible. As I said, the only time I ever put myself in the position of having to defend my beliefs was on the doorstep and we all know what a contrived and false reality that was. Very few of us ever got into the meat of doctrinal or theological debate, that's not what we were there for.

So yes, I sidestepped the issue of having to prove my beliefs many times and I think that at some level it was because I knew I was unable to defend them successfully in front of a real debater. I wasn't aware of that as a conscious thought and I'm sure I would have felt resentful at some guy [like me] suggesting that I was guilty of avoiding serious issues due to the weakness of my belief system, in fact I'm sure I'd have been quite shocked and offended.

Truth is, I think we all need to be shocked more often than we are. It pulls us up and makes us re-evaluate our assumptions.

I too don't believe in erecting boundaries between believers and non-believers and I don't think I was guilty of that. However, if there are not boundaries there are most definately differences - and that is just fine. Perhaps it's the Greek in me but I love to debate and argue [in the true sense of the word] - it doesn't mean I am out to 'get' anyone. In my family, everyone argues heatedly about politics, religion and who's mother makes the best moussaka but at the end of it all we bear-hug and laugh. Perhaps I should make allowance for my Scottish friends rather frail & delicate nature.

I kid!

We are 100% in agreement on challenging preconceptions. It was my doing that that led me out of 'The Truth' and then to the conclusion that there is no god. But as you intimate, I certainly have more respect for someone like you Ross who holds convictions out of a genuine and independantly arrived at stream of thought and experience. I may consider some pimply, arrogant teenage atheist raised by godless, religion hating bigots to hold a position that is closer to reality than a devout, sincere Christian - it seems absurd and I hate that the Universe sometimes throws out these quirks but that is not the same as saying I approve of attacking religion or worshippers of any faith. I embrace our differences but wish we could debate with soewhat thicker skins.

So then, what is my opinion of believers? It depends on the believer, just as I would hope that your opinion of atheists would depend upon the atheist.

One last thing. When I was at school I didn't really apply myself that much, what was the point, the New Order was "just around the corner". Years later, my wife was rushed into surgery for an emergency caeserean section to deliver our second child. It all went well and the paediatrician came to tell me what I needed to know and give some reassurance - he was one of my classmates from twenty years previous. While I had drifted through school in my cult-induced mental fog he had worked hard, studied and created a rewarding and meaningful career for himself. In that sense he most certainly was a more evolved individual than myself. We both had the same potential but he was the one that had done it.

So please don't take offence at the title of this topic but I have to be honest and say that I do consider moving away from - as I see it - a dependance on non-existant gods to be a sign of development and maturity.

I'm not trying to wind up you or anyone else, in fact I get the feeling Ross that you and I could sink a few double malts together and walk away as friends. I hope so.

Nic'

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Nic:It'd take more than a few words to get through my thick Highland skin

Slainte bha!

(I've got to go out, but thanks for your reply - get yer ass to Mike's BBQ and I'll buy ya that drink )

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

"Na diathan leibh"

I'll get to that bbq one day...

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I hope so - it causes so many problems and has done for centuries

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit