Kingdom of the Cults

by troubled 16 Replies latest jw friends

• troubled
    troubled

I came across the above book while I was browsing in a bookstore. Since I was on my lunch hour, I could not read it fully, but did quickly look over the information. It spent a great deal of time discussing matters pertaining to Russell. I'm wondering what other books are out there that perhaps discuss more recent concerns within the WTBTS? What I'm looking for is a factual, documented, book with references I can check, in my attempts to find out the full facts of the matter and weigh both sides.

• ianao
    ianao

troubled:

Good luck. If you ever do find any genuine facts you probably won't know it as anyone who sees those facts will just say it's a biased opinion.

• troubled
    troubled

I don't think this is a very nice response. By telling me if I saw the facts, I wouldn't know it, and would just view it as "biased," you are showing a "biased" opinion of me. This was not a helpful response.

• troubled
    troubled

Can anyone else refer me to some information?
    (As a current JW, I'm not very welcome here, am I?)

• cnn77
    cnn77

Troubled - have you checked web sites like freeminds (see the link at the bottom of this page)?

• troubled
    troubled

Yes, I've looked at the website some, but haven't read everything yet. There's alot there!

I'm just wondering what printed books/publications are out there? If I want to show someone else, I will need proof. And if I just print off something from the web, people might claim it was fabricated (i.e., typed up to look official, PDF'd, and posted).

• wasasister
    wasasister

troubled:
    Although I have come to beleive JW's are indeed a cult, I found the book Kingdom of the Cults to be shrill and somewhat biased against non-mainstream Christian religions.

In my opinion, the very best way discredit (or better still, place doubts about) the WT Society, is by use of their own literature. JW's can argue that any source is false, biased, or unreliable, but they have trouble denying what has been printed by their own leaders. The Freeminds site contains some wonderful essays by those who have spent a great deal of time compiling WT quotes. All you need do is extract the quotes, find the source literature, and present them in the form of a sincere question. In most cases, no comment is necessary at all.

AlanF has an extensive library and his research is thorough. Any essay written by him will contain copious documentation and references to source materials. I recommend reading some of his work, along with JanH, Norm, and others.

• reagan_oconnor
    reagan_oconnor

troubled: Nonsense, you are welcome, as is everyone on this board.

You are honestly searching for answers to questions about your faith. This is wonderful!

Rereading ianao's post, I think the point being made is that if you do find good information, and then try to show the information to a JW, that person probably won't believe you anyway (no matter how good the info is), so good luck (---> see wasasister's post above).

I don't think it's nasty on purpose.

Do you have a large library in your vicinity? Search their card catalogue (many are online) and see what you can find. I located a ton of information in the Cuyahoga County library system, and it was all FREE!!

There is a lot of information on Randy's site, but it's all good stuff. I bought his "Wathcers of the Watch Tower World" CD, which has a LOT of great info on it, but as you said, you'd like a bound book with references... Randy himself can probably point you in the right direction; try e-mailing him (you can find a link to his address on the site).

((((hugs)))
    Reagan

edited for content after rereading ianao's post

I am the master of my fate/I am the captain of my soul.

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

After I left, I looked for books like this too.

Try http://www.amazon.com or http://www.borders.com and do a search under Jehovah's Witnesses. A bunch of books come up.

closer

"Can you imagine a world with no hypothetical questions?" -- Steven Wright

• Moxy
    Moxy

Penton's book 'Apocalypse Delayed' is the book that fits that description. Not sensationalistic, expose-style writing. He is a historian and scholar and former witness (you may recall he wrote some books about JW legal history while still in the truth.) And Delayed is a scholarly history of JWs up till the mid-90s (2nd edition.) You probably wont read a lot of stuff that you didnt already know if youve read Proclaimers or especially Faith On The March but being presented in an unbiased (he frequently debunks some of the more extreme 'apostate' claims) and factual way was very refreshing for me. Gave me perspective.

mox

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit