#2 Talks

by dothemath 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• dothemath
    dothemath

Brothers assigned #2 talks have no work to do at all as far as I can see. If you're even a moderately good reader, you could look over it for about 2 minutes ahead of time.

When someone doesn't show up for the reading, and another brother fills in "short notice", there really isn't any noticeable change in the talk, or how it's read. In other words, just about anyone could do it.

And then the counselor has to come up with terms about how well the brother read it.........etc., etc., etc.

The commendation is pretty much identical every week for this part.

The sisters have to do extensive research on their parts, but the younger brothers who don't do the #4 assignments have got it very easy..........for most, it's about a 5 min. preparation time.

Is this how it's going in your cong.?

• lawrence
    lawrence

What a privilege! Anyone could do it, but a Sister. Great Organization....

• TheListener
    TheListener

I love that we call the #2 talk the bible reading, when half the time it's an excerpt from a WT. Yes, it seems very odd to have a part that is nothing but 5 minutes of reading. It's designed to help brothers become better readers so they can read a bookstudy and watchtower lessons. Oh yes, a 5 minute reading every 6-12 weeks will really get you prepped.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

I would hate to be in the ministry school now if the attendence has gone down a whole lot; it seems that every time I would turn around I would have a talk to give, usually a #2 talk but now I bet it seems that the brothers in the smaller congs would have one every other week, lol.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

i have no prob with the assignment per se ...as just about every bro i knew needed to improve their reading... the prob is no counsel is given so what is the point of that..nobody learns anything

i ran a reading class in one of my ex khs...they would all prepare the reading for that week + i included sisters..then when they stood up to read i would stop them on occasions and get them to think about how the person writing would want it read..and then they could redo it right there and see the cousel working right away....so they actually enjoyed reading with meaning...and genuine improvement was apparent

had to fight for it though...some mature sisters said it shouldnt be going on in the kh and if they needed to improve their reading it should be done at home outside of meeting hours....heaven forbid someone could come along to a meeting and actually enjoy it and learn something eh....and some elders said they should read the school guidebook chapter on improving your reading...idiots could not see the irony in this

and then of course there are the readers who think they are great because they pronounce everything correctly but insist on...emphasizing....every...single...word...

...for ....the .....whole.....watch.....tower

• TheListener
    TheListener

I really don't believe that a 5 minute reading once every 4-8 or so weeks will really improve someone's reading abilitiy.

I also don't believe that public counsel on the reading is beneficial to those listening or to the one that read.

The school is another mechanism designed to instill the party line. Here instead of just having the words printed on a page you get to hear your peers say it all. That makes it more powerful than a mere reading. Hearing the sisters go over objections or the brother handle the bible highlights using only FDS material. It can make some feel like if they all believe it and can explain it who am I to question.

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

Counsel for tijkmo.

Lousy use of capitols..need more work.

I will counsel you in the backroom later.

Sister NPY

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Counsel for NPY: sisters should not counsel brothers, sister

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

Counsel for Merry....

( I am sorry..insert laughin smiley here, and a kiss my ass emoticon here)

• FairMind
    FairMind

I have always taken my speech assignments seriously since good public speaking skills are transferable to situations (like your job) outside of the congregation. After my first number two talk under the new arrangement, I called the TMS Overseer and explained to him that I was gaining nothing from this kind of assignment. I asked that when my name came up for a number two talk, he assign it to someone who needed to work at that level. He did not have a problem with my request.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit