Is anyone aware of a concise, definitive work on religious freedom?

by Check_Your_Premises 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

I am looking for something that talks about the importance of a person being able to worship free from coersion. The idea being that if a person requires coersion to be faithful, what does that say about their faith? Therefore the best way to argue for/against a religion or doctrine is through a free and open exchange of debate and ideas. The ideas will hold up on their merits alone, not on the basis of force.

I would prefer something that would fit on a single page, and would be worded simply enough for a 3rd or 4th grader to understand. Quotes would be helpful as well.

Thanks.

CYP

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

a "don't forget me bump"

• blondie
    blondie

Why not search www.amazon.com using freedom of religion and see what pops and look at the reviews. They tend to send you to other books as well.

Do you want a world overview or just the US?

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

I did do a google search. I will try amazon. But I was hoping to get a jw-type perspective so I posted here.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

And I wasn't really looking for a specific historical perspective. I mostly was looking for general principles. Human nature remains constant regardless of historical or cultural milieu.

• M.J.
    M.J.

This may be along the lines of what you're asking for:

• M.J.
    M.J.

Also, there's a pretty good book called the Subtle Power of Spiritual Abuse, written about when spiritual guidance crosses the line into "cult-like" authority.

You can find exerpts from this book here: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/59888/1.ashx

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

I hope you find what you are needing. I believe it took Ray Franz 700 to 800 pages to explain this in his book "In Search of Christian Freedom" to explain this concept

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

If there already is one, CYP, there will be another one in a few years.

At least by then, if not before, you will be able to find out my real life name.

Respectfully,
    OldSoul

• jgnat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit