Does the Bible interpret itself, or a fiddle you can play any tune with?

by Rod P 66 Replies latest jw friends

• Rod P
    Rod P

O.K. Gumby, I'll bite. Tell me what kinda cookies ya got.

I hope they're better than those last ones you fed me! Had to go behind the barn and spit them out. Ughhh.....Plaaaah!!!

Rod P.

• DannyBear
    DannyBear
    What is so great about the wacky ideas of ancient people? Would you use their ideas on medicine, childbirth, science, social heirarchy, slavery, economics, politics? Or, are you just enamoured with the religious ethos? Hmmm

Enamoured is not quite the word....how about mesmerized by the mystery, pious discipline, and archaic idiocy of 'the scribes'!

Sometimes I think it was worship of the ideas as formulated in written words, that caused all the hoopla. Just to much damn effort went into writing something down for it to be mundane. The words had to carry more weight than human authors could muster........so why not ascribe your work to God Almighty??

• notperfectyet
    notperfectyet

Gumby and Littletoe,

Marry me and then show me in the bible where it is wrong for a wife to have two husbands.

• gumby
    gumby
    Gumby and Littletoe,

Marry me and then show me in the bible where it is wrong for a wife to have two husbands.

It always has to be about sex with you.....doesn't it Beth. Ya damn shamless hussy......you know darn good and well an overseer is to be the husband of one wife cuz it says so in Titus and Timothy.......somewhere's. You couldn't keep up with me and LT anyways cuz were still young hearted and stuff. If you woulda read your bible and followed along with the speakers instead a thinking about men all the time.....you woulda known we can't marry you.......specially cuz were christian men.

*prays to jehovah to keep resistin Beth*

Gumby

• Rod P
    Rod P

Alright you three! "Nuff of that three-sum impure thinkin'!

I'm tryin' ta figur out dis damn Bible 'n Stuff and you geys keep distracting me with Sexual innuendo. Shame on you!! Paant!!! pant!!!...fades into the dust..

Rod P.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Ross, you make it sound like belief without objective and repeatable evidence is something clever.

That's why my reply was 'deify belief'. Belief of the above described nature is really nothing special, but is always made out to be by those that say they have it, probably because it feels like that to them, even though to someone else it is no more impressive than a belief that ham tastes nicer than cheese.

I know you've had personal experiences which make you believe. Fine. I haven't. Fine. Others have personal experiences which make them believe which totally contradict and invalidate yours. Fine.

As I am sure we both believe something along the lines of "do what thou wilt but do no harm", it doesn't really matter by what path you arrive at that conclusion, to me, and if there is a god, I doubt if it cares either.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Gyles:

Ross, you make it sound like belief without objective and repeatable evidence is something clever.

Gonna have to run that one by me again. I don't recall broaching that subject.

That's why my reply was 'deify belief'.

Defy belief, or deify belief, it matters not a jot, to me. I was just struck, in an inane moment, by the simplicity of the statement. Like I said before, I wasn't laughing at ya

Others have personal experiences which make them believe which totally contradict and invalidate yours.

Might need to cite those. I've not come across any yet

NPY:
    Is that a proposition

LT, of the "love is the law" class

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit