Pastor Kicks Out 9 Members For Not Supporting President Bush!

by minimus 28 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Can you believe it?? In North Carolina, a pastor told the congregation of about 100 that if they voted for John Kerry, they would not be welcomed in his church. Things this week came to a head when he took action to kick out 9 who didn't support the president. Others, in protest for the action also have left the church. Now lawyers have been called in!!....Now I wonder if the church can arbitrarily "disfellowship" members simply because the leader says so. If not, how can JWs do it???

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

When I first heard about this I thought "Great!", until I realised it may encourage our lefty Presbyterian pastor to kick us conservatives/righties out of OUR church!

• minimus
    minimus

I think if a court rules that it is not permissable, the same argument could be made for Witnesses.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

good job the administrator of this board was not a member of that church!!!!

• minimus
    minimus

Stilla............

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

reading a news article about that made post this thread...

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/90238/1.ashx

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Not at all surprising given the politicization of the conservative churches over the past decade. Support for Bush has become not a matter of conscience, but a matter of salvation. This pastor only made explicit what is a not usually stated so bluntly but nonetheless very much understood sentiment among conservative Christians: You ain't a Christian if you don't support Bush.

• minimus
    minimus

Well Dan, he's right.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

He's a right example of just how cultish and groupthink the Christian right is :)

• minimus
    minimus

I still hope that this could turn into something vs. JWs.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit