Cultural Aspects of Spanking--Countries Other than US

by blondie 15 Replies latest jw friends

• blondie
    blondie

Culturally, I wonder how spanking plays out.

Canada

Mexico

UK

Australia

France

Italy

Norway/Sweden/Denmark/Finland

Germany

Africa

South America

Japan

China

Other Asian

Muslim countries

?????

• donald
    donald

even though i live in the usa...ive spent alot of time in canada....they preety muc are diveded on just like the USA...donald

• Englishman
    Englishman

I think the Brits enjoy it as much as anyone.

Englishman.

• blondie
    blondie

Very silly, Mike.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Scandinavia: outlawed. Very politically incorrect. Rare among JW as well as in society in general as far as I know it. At least, it is not commonly accepted or endorsed.

• squinks
    squinks

Englishman,

Very Funny.

Hmmm, I wonder how come the Scandinavians don't spare the rod like the Bible says. Could it be they have found a better way? Hmmm, I wonder if anyone looks at a thing like that and asks themselves if their are any other faulty guidelines in the Bible and therefore with the JW's. . . . Nah!

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

In fact, a brother said in a public talk that spanking was against the Bible. That the rod was merely symbolising parental authority and that spanking was against that spirit.... When relating this to some American brothers I met while vacationing, they were almost stumbled.. They did not figure out children could be disciplined without this method. They were also flabbergasted when they heard that the Society had "compromised" by allowing all references to corporal punishment to be removed in the translated literature.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

could not resist using the funny word "flabbergasted". See definition: To be surprised or astonished. The British comedian Frankie Howerd used to say in mock astonishment: ?I?m flabbergasted?never has my flabber been so gasted!?. That?s about as good an explanation for the origin of this word as you?re likely to get. It turns up first in print in 1772, in an article on new words in the Annual Register. The writer couples two fashionable terms: ?Now we are flabbergasted and bored from morning to night?. (Bored?being wearied by something tedious?had appeared only a few years earlier.) Presumably some unsung genius had put together flabber and aghast to make one word. The source of the first part is obscure. It might be linked to flabby, suggesting that somebody is so astonished that they shake like a jelly. It can?t be connected with flapper, in the sense of a person who fusses or panics, as some have suggested, as that sense only emerged at the end of the nineteenth century. But flabbergasted could have been an existing dialect word, as one early nineteenth-century writer claimed to have found it in Suffolk dialect and another?in the form flabrigast? in Perthshire. Further than this, nobody can go with any certainty.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    Very silly, Mike.

No, really!

• Jahna
    Jahna

Here is just one glimpse into the controversy of spanking in Canada.

A Mennonite family in Ontario had their children removed from their care because of the spare the rod idea. It made many headlines for quite some time.

http://www.christianity.ca/family/parenting/2003/08.001.html

Jahna

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit