Counsel by school overseer...

by in a new york bethel minute 20 Replies latest jw experiences

• in a new york bethel minute
    in a new york bethel minute

what was your worst point of counsel? i think for most men, it was gesturing to an audience while trying to make it look natural. i remember writing on my notes to gesture and to speak slowly... what was your hardest point of counsel to work on?

bethel

• lawrence
    lawrence

Dumbing down the material - "keep words to as few syllables as possible."

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I spent 2 years on "sense stress and modulation" followed with 2 years of "enthusiasm, warmth, and feeling". Then it was back to "sense stress and modulation" for the next 2 years.

At that point I quit the school.

Walter

• Daytona
    Daytona

Timing. Couldn't keep my mouth shut.

Daytona

• FairMind
    FairMind

Although I have never received negative counsel I find speaking from a proper outline to be very difficult.

• donald
    donald

i never stayed on one point more than twice...donald

• Ténébreux
    Ténébreux

I think everyone dreaded "Gestures". You could always tell when someone was working on Gestures that night, because their hand waving always looked so forced and unnatural. So I used to gesture even when I wasn't being counselled on it, just to confuse everyone.

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

Gestures were my sticking point too. I got G's for all the others but I had to work on gestures about 6 times.

In the end I thought I would just take the pi$$ a bit and make the gestures look as extravagant and theartical as possible. Guess what.. I got a good for it. I thought I looked like an idiot but maybe to the audience it looked perfectly fine.

I remember at my last hall the school overseer every week used to say 'oh dear I don't think we have time to give counsel, times running on. See me afterwards for your counsel' After every talk he'd say it. He was a nice guy and I think he didn't like embarrassing people in front of everyone if he had negative counsel to give or suggestions for ways they could have done it better. He was totally in denial about his sexuality as well.. but that's another story.

• Chia
    Chia

For me, it was speaking from an outline. How could they really tell anyway? I always wrote out my talks and pretty much memorized them. As long as you weren't tied to your notes, no one could tell.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

I always took the criticism to heart. Heck I was a good student, even in school.

Now my best....

I was all of 15 and it was in the library, thank cawd. My nephew of 11 was my biblestudy. I asked him a question after reading a scripture. He couldn't remember the answer and couldn't find it on his que card. I got just a little flustered and asked again. He still didn't get it. So..... I asked him to re-read the scripture, and then asked him the question in a different way. He got it then w/out que card.

I was praised on my patience and review of the material presented. No criticism.

Without que cards I was really bad at giving biblestudies. Never had one for more than a couple weeks.

Unfortunately, my nephew is still "in" and a very active member of his congregation!

Sorry kid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit