Disassociation = Disfellowshipment = The Final Insult (A Proposal)

by slimboyfat 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I try to keep up with discussion on this forum, but I missed the threads about the new policy on the announcement of disfellowshipping and disassociation. So excuse me if I am covering old ground.

The new "Organized To Do Jehovah's Will" book stated that in future announcements of disfellowshipping and disassociation would follow the same formulation: "****** ****** is no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses". This means that while there remains a distinction between disassociation and disfellowshipment in the judicial hearings and in the official records, that distinction will not be made clear to the whole congregation when the judicial committee reaches the decision and the announcement is made.

That this change constitutes one of the very few noticeable changes in the new 'Organization' book was evidenced by the fact that this was the only new feature which was highlighted in the letter from the Society accompanying the release of the new publication. What was the significance of the change?

Interestingly, although the Witnesses usually explain all changes (no matter how minor) in terms of at least some vague reference to their interpretation of a particular principle or scripture text, no 'spiritual' justification accompanied this alteration. Perhaps the change was prompted by some legal technicality of which I am unaware: a possibility considering the society's increased concern to counter litigation. But perhaps the motive was simpler. The distinction between disassociation and disfellowshipment had allowed the creation of an apparent hierarchy of the 'shunned'. Whereas disfellowshipped persons were removed from the congregation for 'bad' behaviour; those who disassociated had not been thus removed, but had chosen to separate themselves from the congregation on matters of principle. (this is generally true, although a significant number apparently also disassociate themselves in anticipation of inevitable disfellowshipment proceedings)

If my interpretation is correct then I would view this as the Final Insult. For those leaving the association on matters of principle, some small consolation was previously to be had from the fact that the announcement of their 'disassociation' would at least make clear to those former friends and acquaintances who would not all hear their motivations for leaving, that at least the decision had been theirs and that they had chosen to remove themselves from the congregation - not the other way round. From this point of view, the new policy on the announcement of disassociation removes any vestige of dignity that the Society has accorded to those who have decided to leave the religion.

My proposal: those who wish to make clear to fellow Witnesses that they are not in the same category as the 'disfellowshipped', but have voluntarily disassociated themselves should seek other ways to make this clear. Someone in this position could simply make the announcement that they disassociate themselves in an answer during the Watchtower Study or at the Ministry School meeting. This way all the congregation can still be made aware that the reason why you are 'no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses', as the later generic announcement will confirm. If many of those choosing to disassociate themselves follow this practice, then new policy of the Society can be made to backfire on itself as those who disassociate will create greater publicity than the previous acknowledgement did. If ever I find myself in such a position, that is what I intend to do.

If you choose the material during which your 'announcement' is made carefully, then you could also work in a justification, or explanation, into your statement. The comment you could make during a discussion of Christendom could start unobtrusively enough:

'Because they hypocritically involve themselves in worldly politics, such as with the United Nations...'

'Because they talk about true Christianity evidencing genuine love, yet among themselves and their leaders they display a distinct lack thereof...'

'Because they claim to follow the Bible, but teach things contrary to what the Bible teaches...'

Or whatever is appropriate to your own particular situation.

And then end with the punch line:

'I have decided, of my own accord, that I wish to disassociate myself from Jehovah's Witnesses'.

By which time it is too late for an elder or the roving mike to snatch the microphone. The generic announcement will still be made a couple of weeks later in the Service meeting, but no one in the congregation will be in any doubt as to why you are 'no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses' when that statement is made.

So what do you think of my proposal?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I've been thinkin somethin similar sbf, nothing really to lose now if you are da or df'd. Plus if you dont the whole congo is thinking you've cheated on your wife or something.

I think this whole announcement change just forces the hand of df'd or da'd ppl to be more vocal.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Someone in this position could simply make the announcement that they disassociate themselves in an answer during the Watchtower Study or at the Ministry School meeting.

that would be cool...

*grabs microphone from attendant*

"I just wanted to make a comment that....I am disassociating myself from Jehovah's Witnesses."

*mad dash by attendants to get microphone back, cut off volume from PA, etc.while congregation collectively gasps* lol

Then the WTS will send BOE letter to the congs - Brothers, we are advising at this time not to call upon for comment persons attending the meeting who might be under any sort of suspicion of apostasy or other secret sins...

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

you're right. it is a final insult. they're such nazi's. unfortunately, it's too late for me. if i went back to a meeting they may not even let me through the door. when i DA'd myself (a week after the new green book was released), i sent a copy of the DA letter to everyone in the org i still cared about. the others can rot (still angry).

but i support your idea for anyone on this DB that is still "in" and thinking about leaving and wants to go out with a bang. i had also considered sitting in the front of the hall my last meeting, and standing up and dumping my books and mags out of by bag on the floor in front of the stage before walking out silently. but i was also angry. when i calmed down a bit, i went the letter route.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Then the WTS will send BOE letter to the congs - Brothers, we are advising at this time not to call upon for comment persons attending the meeting who might be under any sort of suspicion of apostasy or other secret sins...

Good point. I am quite sure that if we went to the KH, they would ignore us, and definitely not hand either of us a microphone. But a few years ago, that would have worked.

• avishai
    avishai

But SBF, I thought you still believed?

• Sirona
    Sirona

If this is the case, I'm disgusted! This is the level of control they're now trying to exert, probably because the DA'd ones send some type of "message" to the congregation that there must be some reason why.

But then, this is a CULT and they keep proving it, over and over again.

Sirona

• Forscher
    Forscher

There must be alot more who are not going away quietly than in former times. What other reason could there be to make this change unless it is to hide such a movement out? They might be scared of the freinds finding out that the leadership is no longer in firm control of the situation and many are leaving on their own hook instead of being put out by their precious JCs.

• talesin
    talesin

This will mean that the congo does not know if one is DF or DA.

It was my understanding that a DF person must be shunned, whereas a DA one does not have to be.

Wouldn't this mean a difference in shunning? Would they now officially shun DA persons?

tal

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

:Wouldn't this mean a difference in shunning? Would they now officially shun DA persons?

the elders manual has always said that JW's are to treat DA'd ones the same as DF'd ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit