Need help finding specific WT articles

by Goldminer 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I'm looking for that article about the guy who went to a door with a beard and the lady was really put off by it and turned down the literature because of it.I believe it's in the '73 or '74 WT but I can't find it now.

Also,not too long ago I read a wt article from the early 60's that specifically mentioned 10 hours of service.I believe Blondie had put it in one of her posts.

If anyone can help me with these it would be greatly appreciated,I'm having discussions with my wife and her father about some WTS rules that seem more like commandments of men that lack scriptural backing.MT 15:8-9

Thank You

Goldminer

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

*** w75 8/15 pp. 500-501 Do Not Let Yourself Be Ensnared by Fads and Entertainment ***

9 Extreme hair styles can easily lead one into a trap of the Devil also, and cause others to stumble. For example, a young man in the United States was making fine progress in his study of the Bible, and he was moved to share with an experienced Witness in preaching to others about the good things he was learning from the Bible. From early youth he had let his beard grow, and since some in the business community wore beards, he felt that his wearing one in preaching to others would be acceptable generally. But in speaking to a lady he was unable to do more than introduce himself, when she said: ?I?m sorry, young man, I do not want to become involved in student revolt.? No amount of explanation after this sufficed to clear up the misimpression. After the conversation ended with the closing of the door, he asked the experienced Witness what had happened. He was invited to consider his appearance in relation to what he claimed to be, a servant of God. Not wanting to be responsible for even one person?s being stumbled so as to miss the way to everlasting life, this new Kingdom publisher shaved off his beard. Would you be willing to do the same or to make similar adjustments if your appearance gave the wrong impression in a certain community?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

WT 1975 8/15 499-504

Extreme hair styles can easily lead one into a trap of the Devil also, and cause others to stumble. For example, a young man in the United States was making fine progress in his study of the Bible, and he was moved to share with an experienced Witness in preaching to others about the good things he was learning from the Bible. From early youth he had let his beard grow, and since some in the business community wore beards, he felt that his wearing one in preaching to others would be acceptable generally. But in speaking to a lady he was unable to do more than introduce himself, when she said: "I?m sorry, young man, I do not want to become involved in student revolt." No amount of explanation after this sufficed to clear up the misimpression. After the conversation ended with the closing of the door, he asked the experienced Witness what had happened. He was invited to consider his appearance in relation to what he claimed to be, a servant of God. Not wanting to be responsible for even one person?s being stumbled so as to miss the way to everlasting life, this new Kingdom publisher shaved off his beard. Would you be willing to do the same or to make similar adjustments if your appearance gave the wrong impression in a certain community?
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

LOL, got me.

WT 1961 6/15 368-374:

Another way to progress toward maturity is to develop a proper mental attitude. Paul had the right attitude as expressed at Philippians 3:14, 15: "I am pursuing down toward the goal for the prize of the calling above and which God extends in Christ Jesus. Let us, then, as many of us as are mature, be of this mental attitude; and if you are mentally inclined otherwise in any respect, God will reveal the above attitude to you." Can you honestly say that you are pursuing the goal of everlasting life? Or are you pursuing the things of the old-world society? (1 John 2:16) What is your immediate goal? To buy a new automobile, or to buy out opportunities to serve Jehovah? (Eph. 5:16) To spend money on an expensive vacation, seeing the sights of the dying old world, or to become a vacation pioneer, locating new friends, yes, everlasting acquaintances to join with you in the New World society? To retire and settle down in a place where there is a ratio of one witness of Jehovah to less than one thousand of the population, or to serve where the need for Kingdom witnesses is really great? If you are really pursuing everlasting life, then your record of field ministry should indicate that. Do you spend at least ten hours each month preaching and teaching the Bible truth to others? Can you imagine Paul being contented with less than ten hours a month even when he found it necessary to work full time making tents? What do you suppose he was doing on weekends, evenings? Studying God?s Word, doing God?s work, or attending a contest between the gladiators in the local coliseum, saying he had no time for the ministry??Acts 18:3, 4.
  • Honesty
    Honesty

I can't believe that I bought into this crap for so many wasted years.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

Thank you very much Narkissos and Stillajwexelder.Those were exactly the articles I was looking for.

Btw,stillajwexelder,is that a picture of your daughter? Looks like a real wholesome country girl!

Goldminer

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Post-Harmageddon Watchtower announces: Death toll mounts...many lives lost due to "wrong impression" given by brothers sporting beards.

wtf?!?

~Merry

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

LOL...

New light to curb the stumbling rate: those who wear a beard are dispensed with the 10 hours in FS.

Next QFR: is it scriptural for sisters to wear fake beards?

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

ROFL @ Narkissos

Answer: sisters can wear false beards only if they want to participate in stoning someone who refused to use the name Jehovah.

~Merry

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

I know it is not terribly significant, but I just ran across my old script for a drama I was in and found it mildly amusing that under INSTRUCTIONS...COSTUMES it reads: "When beards are needed, false beards should be prepared or obtained. It is not proper for brothers to grow their own."

~Merry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit