After Reading CoC It Seems This Could Apply to Dub Loyalty to the Org - LOL

by adelmaal 9 Replies latest jw friends

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

The below analogy made me think about how in CoC whenever a new article comes out in the WT the dubs loyally obey without questioning whether or not it has any Bible basis or whether or nor it is morally right (i.e. disassociated ones to be shunned just as disfellowshipped ones, ones who personally disagree with any of the established beliefs (even if they are not outwardly promoting such disagreement) are to be considered apostates and should be disfellowshipped, etc.). It's amazing how the Org can say it's black even if it's white and blind faith causes the dubs not to question it. It's crazy how true that is and at the same time how I didn't even realize it while I was in. I ended up in the mindset where I just "assumed" everything printed came from the Bible because that is what I had been taught to believe.

Theocratic Policies

Start with a cage containing five apes.

In the cage, hang a banana on a string and put stairs under it. Before long, an ape will go to the stairs and start to climb towards the banana. As soon as he touches the stairs, spray all of the apes with cold water.

After a while, another ape makes an attempt with the same result - all the apes are sprayed with cold water. This continues through several more attempts. Pretty soon, when another ape tries to climb the stairs, the other apes all try to prevent it.

Now, turn off the cold water. Remove one ape from the cage and replace it with a new one. The new ape sees the banana and wants to climb the stairs. To his horror, all of the other apes attack him. After another attempt and attack, he knows that if he tries to climb the stairs, he will be assaulted.

Next, remove another of the original five apes and replace it with a new one. The newcomer goes to the stairs and is attacked. The previous newcomer takes part in the punishment with enthusiasm. Again, replace a third original ape with a new one. The new one makes it to the stairs and is attacked as well. Two of the four apes that beat him have no idea why they were not permitted to climb the stairs, or why they are participating in the beating of the newest ape.

After replacing the fourth and fifth original apes, all the apes, which have been sprayed with cold water, have been replaced. Nevertheless, no ape ever again approaches the stairs. Why not?

Because that's the way they've always done it and that's the way it's always been around here.

And that's how theocratic policy begins....

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Hence all the various "local rules" that seem to pop up all over the place. Some CO or DO or BOE liked it done a certain way and that becomes the modus operandi.

• adelmaal
    adelmaal
    Hence all the various "local rules" that seem to pop up all over the place. Some CO or DO or BOE liked it done a certain way and that becomes the modus operandi

So true.

• Carmel
    Carmel

Like the woman that always cut off the ends of a ham before putting it in the roasting pan to bake. Mom did it that way and so did Grandma. Once asked, come to find out, many years ago grandma had a roasting pan too small for most hams so she cut it down to size. Ma, just imitated and so does Missy. Logic is lost and tradition inherits the action sans any good reason. Not too different from the ritual of babtism and others.

carmel

• Honesty
    Honesty

Great idea to use on unsuspecting cult members.

• greendawn
    greendawn

To get the dubs to believe almost everything they tell them they must have used some clever psychology. Critical thinking was switched off. Perhaps the idea that the FDS is intimately associated with their salvation and eternal life as they came to believe it, he set up the org that will take them through the big A. They have a soft spot for them and lap up everything they tell them. He is also a favoured one of God....

• JAVA
    JAVA
    It's amazing how the Org can say it's black even if it's white and blind faith causes the dubs not to question it.

Not only do they not question, but will brag about not questioning the Tower!

There was a JW in the congregation who had been in the Tower for many years, and witnessed a lot of crap. He told me, "If the Watchtower say that black is white, then I believe it." He proved the saying that, "There is done so blind that will not see."

• vitty
    vitty

I remember my husband saying he couldnt conform anymore it was going against his true nature.

I thought he was blaspheming, what was wrong with him, he was displaying a independant spirit!!!!! Yikes that was scary, till the veil lifted from my eyes and realized I could eat that banana if I wanted to

ummm I think that reminds me a little of um Adam and Eve

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

Yes, it is true that the people there do anything they are told without regard as to whether it is truly from the bible or just man's opinion. They have totally given their reasoning powers over to somebody else - as though they are not accountable for the outcome! After all, they think these people are speaking for god.

In the beginning when I was ignorant I didn't question anything either.

In the end I was really outraged because I felt as if they had spoken presumptuously - about a lot of things!

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

That reminds me of when I told my mother-in-law about the UN thing, she said it didn't matter. Unless Jehovah physically comes down from heaven and tells her that they are not his FDS, then she will obey them no matter what. I wish I would have thought to tell her not to drink their koolaid if they offer it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit