Points of exit..what is the age when most leave

by Qcmbr 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

I've just been to a big conference where we discussed retention of members and statistically lds lose most members (in the UK anyway) as follows:

1/ 14 -18 (largest group) - I think it was 30%
    2/ New converts (next largest) - In the front door and straight out the back.
    3/ Mature adults (normally offended or burnt out)

Is this similar to the JWs?

• alw
    alw

Hi ours was number 3 - injustice and offended - thankfully did us a favour as we found out once we were out all the hypocrisy and lies - a job well done on their part. We're enjoying our life, family and freedom once again - it took 22 years though!!! alw

• luna2
    luna2

#3 here too.

My son stopped participating totally when he was about 18, but he was never baptized so perhaps that doesn't count.

• blondie
    blondie

Around here I would say that the WTS is leaking at the start. Fewer children of JWs getting baptized and drfiting away when they reach 18, if they do get baptized, due to family pressure, they get caught up in smoking, drugs, immorality and end up being df'd.

Newer ones would be the next category. Usually ignored right after baptism, struggle to find friends, continued battle with not smoking, many are single mothers, suddenly cut off from a sexual life and no help dealing with their children, catty sisters scared they might take their husbands, realizing they are on the lowest rung of the social ladder.

I fall into the category of mature adults that are burnt out, many just coast along doing the minimum, eventually just fading away. Not as many because there is so much to lose. Freedom sometimes is nothing left to lose.

So I think the 1,2,3 the LDS give is similar in the WTS.

Blondie

• vitty
    vitty

My husband and I (oh I sound just like the Queen) are no 3

My son is no 1

• Undecided
    Undecided

I 'm with Blondie,

I fall into the category of mature adults that are burnt out, many just coast along doing the minimum, eventually just fading away.

No. 3.

Ken P.

• RichieRich
    RichieRich

# 1!

• garybuss
    garybuss

I would have quit doing unpaid volunteer work for the Jehovah's Witnesses and attending Watch Tower Publishing Corporation sponsored meetings when I was an adolescent but my mother threatened abandonment if I quit. I took a double life approach and associated until I was 30.

When I was 30 in 1974, the aggravation of staying was higher than my fear of leaving. I quit it all but I kept mostly silent. In 1992 I told my Witness brother how I felt about the Witness group. He got REALLY pissed and told me I represent everything in the world he hates. The Witness shunning started shortly after that.

• gumby
    gumby

Blondie.........excellent rundown of the dubs!!! I would say she very accurately described the witness fallout statistics and how it goes with them. I liked the 'catty sisters' comment

Gumby

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

I've found to be a 4th one, which recently popped up, due to the lessening of restrictions on college

20something intelligencia who learn either through school how to logically think and notice the cognitive dissonence between the JW's and the real truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit