Do OTHER bibles metion the 144,000 on Revelations?

by Donkey Lipz 6 Replies latest jw friends

• Donkey Lipz
    Donkey Lipz

Do other bibles (KJV, Catholic bibles,protestant bibles,etc...) mention the 144,000???

Donkey Lipz

• Robert K Stock
    Robert K Stock

The 144,000 is in the Book of Revelation in all versions of the Bible.

Who that 144,000 are, is subject to interpretation.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

As far as I know, all other Bibles mention the 144,000.

And NONE of them say only 144,000 will go to heaven and ALL of them say the Great Crowd is 'before the throne' (as in God's thone, that is in heaven).

I could be wrong on this, as I have not looked into all bibles....anyone else?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

yes you are right lisa,

In fact dubs say that the word enopion (before) means insight of but not local to the throne so the GC is not in heaven. If this is so why does revelation use enopion very often to describe things which are in heaven.

Rev 4:10 the 24 elders bow enopion (before) the throne. Acording to the dubs the 24 elders=the 144000.

Rev 7:11 uses enopion to describe where the 4 living creatures are. The witnesses completely misrepresent the use of enopion in revelation.

Sorry a little OT but its a pet peave.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Most other people I have talked to believe the 144,000 are literal Jews...when I was a JW I would tell people about spiritual Israel and I would get that look!

• Qcmbr
    Qcmbr

LDS believe that just before the end 144000 will be sent out in a final preaching mission. Other than the Jews we are the only church I know of that believes we are literally gathering the tribes of Israel. I'm of the tribe of Ephraim (Joseph) and it may well be possible to send 12000 from each tribe(except Dan) but that would probably need to be by adoption (since we 'know' that the actual 10 tribes are being prepared by the apostle John for their return at the end.)

(Doctrine and Covenants | Section 77:9 - 11)

9 Q. What are we to understand by the angel ascending from the east, Revelation 7th chapter and 2nd verse?
    A. We are to understand that the angel ascending from the east is he to whom is given the seal of the living God over the twelve tribes of Israel; wherefore, he crieth unto the four angels having the everlasting gospel, saying: Hurt not the earth, neither the sea, nor the trees, till we have sealed the servants of our God in their foreheads. And, if you will receive it, this is Elias which was to come to gather together the tribes of Israel and restore all things.
    10 Q. What time are the things spoken of in this chapter to be accomplished?
    A. They are to be accomplished in the sixth thousand years, or the opening of the sixth seal.
    11 Q. What are we to understand by sealing the one hundred and forty-four thousand, out of all the tribes of Israel?twelve thousand out of every tribe?
    A. We are to understand that those who are sealed are high priests, ordained unto the holy order of God, to administer the everlasting gospel; for they are they who are ordained out of every nation, kindred, tongue, and people, by the angels to whom is given power over the nations of the earth, to bring as many as will come to the church of the Firstborn.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Of all the people who have different interpretations of what the 144,000 really means, now why would I go to Witnesses for an explanation? More than any religion or organisation I have studied, they have repeatedly proved themselves amongst the worst on earth at interpreting Scriptures.

The Bible explains that the 144,000 is calculated by multiplying each of the 12 tribes of israel by 12,000. 12 x 12,000 = 144,000. But JWs say that each 12,000 is just a figurative number, not to be taken literally. An elder kept a straight face last week when he told me that it was indeed possible for 12 figurative numbers to add up to a literal total.

It must be true cos what's left of the 144,000 said so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit