Medical Care

by Phil 9 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Phil
    Phil

All the JWs that work at the Paterson facility, I believe, receive some pay that is so small that they are put below the poverty level as established by the government. When one of these members is in need of hospitalization for a serious illness, is the medical care they receive paid for under the government funded "Medicaid" program? What kind of medical care programs does the State of NY have for these cases?Should a person in this position be expected to pay back the expenses incurred by the WT. My daughter is receiving very costly radiation treatment at Sloan-Kittering in NY. Will she at some point in time be required to pay the WT for services rendered and under what conditions? If she is expected to pay back for these services, she will be financiall destroyed for the rest of her life.

• Odrade
    Odrade

They are self-insured. WT pays for the appropriate treatment, and no they don't require reimbursement. But, there have been cases where someone is discharged from Bethel service because they have some costly medical work coming up. I know someone who was sent home because of needing very expensive dental work. Also, this is one reason (I believe) for the long-term "temporary" arrangement. When the "volunteers" begin to approach middle/old age, and are needing more extensive medical care, their "assignment" is not renewed, or they "volunteer" to go home.

My parents served 10 years at Bethel. They cannot get state-side medical coverage because of having not been insured with a major provider for 10+ years. They don't get COBRA (same reason,) they don't qualify for OHP because they lived out of state too long, and a private plan on my father is 600+/month. NO ONE will insure my mother due to pre-existing conditions. Bethel does not offer or provide a buy-in group coverage. They are too young still for Medicare.

They have never been asked to "donate" for care provided in the 10 years they were there, but believe me, they donated plenty in those 10 years, including a significant portion of an inheritance. I'm sure that WTS is not out a cent for their services, especially considering the fact that they didn't have to compensate my father for his licenses and professional contractor services for 10 years, and my mother for clerical work for the same time period. If they had been working for a secular company, that would have been over $1M in salary + benefits.

grrrr

• rebel8
    rebel8

Odrade, that story makes me sick. How awful for your parents. I wonder if they regret their "service".

• Odrade
    Odrade

No actually, they don't. Still view it as a "wonderful privilege" and the "experience of a lifetime."

• Phil
    Phil

In California, persons living below the poverty line have medical insurance through a plan called "medicaid". This is a state plan that is being taken advantage of by the illegal immigrants throughout this state. That is one of the reasons why California is in such a dismal financial condition. I assumed that NY would have a similar program.

If what you say it is still in effect I will expect my daughter at my front door any time now. She has cancer and has been receiving chemo and radiation treatments not to mention surgeries over the last couple of years. We'll see. I will let you know if and when she comes a knocking.

• rebel8
    rebel8

All states have Medicaid, including NY. Persons must meet income guidelines to qualify in their state. A lot of the "working poor" do not qualify.

In NY there is also a program called Family Health Plus, which any NY resident is entitled to, regardless of their income level. However, it is income-tested, meaning enrolees may be required to pay premiums. I got the idea that Odrade's parents moved from NY to another state...a state which may not offer a similar program or for which they may not qualify due to not maintaining state residency long enough.

I think its terribly unjust for these people to be left to fend for themselves or for the taxpayers to have to pick up the tab. The WTS should provide for a pension and/or some type of health coverage after they leave the commune. They gave up a lot of income for the WTS, which affected them in the past and will affect them now and in the future. That gap in income means they didn't have the opportunity to save for emergencies or for retirement. The WTS morally owes them financial assistance, which would be automatically provided if they were truly led by an all-good diety.

• Phil
    Phil

All good diety? That's a good one. Show me an all good diety. I don't know of any nor have I heard of one on earth. I can't help but think that somehow the WTS has wiggled its way into getting the medical care you speak of, from one of the social programs offered to the poor. I know that in California, if you do not have the money to pay the bill, Medicaid will step in and provide the service for the people that are poor. THe funds that the people are purposely kept below the poverty line so they do not pay into FICA or the medical program for seniors. My daughter will not get the social security and Medicare that I pay into.

• rebel8
    rebel8
    All good diety? That's a good one. Show me an all good diety. I don't know of any nor have I heard of one on earth.

It's a great way to challenge the logic underlying the JW doctrines. Many of their beliefs are based upon the premise that a diety does exist and he is all-good, all-powerful, and all-knowing. Then comes the belief that they are his one and only true people. Most other doctrines are built on those beliefs, so it's pretty easy to challenge the very foundation of them. I guess I'm just rambling and telling you things you already know!

The only thing I believe is probably true is intelligent design of the universe. Beyond that, everything else about the supernatural is questionable to me.

• Phil
    Phil

odrade

"self insured" ?

This does not appear to be consistant with the WTS behavior. Please forgive by skekpticism but do you have documentation or reliable information on the subject? Perhaps you are a JW and would exercise your "rights" to the Theocratic Warfare doctrine.

I have had so much experience with this group that I found it difficult to believe anything they say.

• Phil
    Phil

rebel

Right on!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit