WHO IS YOU?

by Terry 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Objectively I am an organic and linguistic structure.

Subjectively I cannot know what I am.

The possessive in "my body," "my mind," "my brain" or even "my ego" reveals the ever-elusive nature of the "I" who says "my". "I" always escape from what "I" observe even when "I" try to observe "myself". "I" am always elsewhere (sorry Elsewhere) and actually nowhere (I guess there must be a Nowhere poster out there too). Because the structure of the mind is that of a centreless network and language always creates a fictitious centre (the invisible, in the broadest sense of this adjective, "little man within").

Again I find Lacan's paradigm quite helpful, distinguishing and connecting (1) the symbolical speaking/knowing subject from both (2) the real biological individual and (3) the imaginary self-representation (originally the specular image).

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

WHO IS YOU?

Answer: A means to an end.....and much more!

• Little Red Hen
    Little Red Hen

LadyLee, thanks for your info on personality, and where 'self' is. It is an area I have just started investigating havingI have met an individual with DID. I wondered if the historical Mr. Gage might have had something in common with those afflicted.

I am still trying to absorb the rest of this thread.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

LRH

I wondered if the historical Mr. Gage might have had something in common with those afflicted.

a physical trauma to the brain results in damaged nerve cells in the brain. Depending on which parts of the brain are damaged emotions or knowledge or skills will change. This can affect the persons personality if that was the part affected. They then will have to learn something new to replace the parts that were damaged

In the cases of DID the trauma is psychological. There is no need to learn something new but rather to integrate the parts into one whole. Nothing gets lost.

• Terry
    Terry

The tricky part to address is this:

When the so-called soul (or spirit) which lives on (and on) after death is viewed as such an invincible component of true self, then, why does damage to any part of the brain affect the personality?

If you experience Alzheimers your invincible soul recoils into the same wounded stupor as any organic sentience. Why?

How do you escape the fact that without an organic brain; there is no YOU?

Why does the physical so easily restrain the immortal and intangible? This leads one to suspect your SOUL is like the light in a flashlight bulb. No battery; no light. No bulb; no light. Dead battery; no light. But, bring together the fresh components and Voila! you have a bright and shining "soul".

T.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    why does damage to any part of the brain affect the personality?

Most of this stuff on this thread is way over my head.....except I did understand Minimus Who cares?

I thought our personatlities were formed with and through our life experiances. We can change our personalities. Like from being shy to outgoing. I thought it had to do with the way things connected in our brain.......one signal connecting to another..in our vrey unique and individual ways..........

So it would stand to reason that if part of the brain were damaged that it could and would affect our personality.

but like I said........most of this is way over my head..........

purps

• Terry
    Terry
    So it would stand to reason that if part of the brain were damaged that it could and would affect our personality.

but like I said........most of this is way over my head..........

purps

Not so!

I'd say you nailed it.

T.

• ivy
    ivy

Terry, I'm no amazing intellect, but your posts always push me to try harder. I thank you for that.
    There have been plenty of studies on this particular subject. Yes, one brain injury can wipe out years of nurture. It can make you a different person. The brain is our central processing unit. I really like the comparison to an operating system.

identity, personality and behavior...are unified with the brain

I agree with that, but it does scare me. Will too much study into those realms lead us to "Stepford"? I'm pretty happy with my identity, personality and behavior as it is.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Will too much study into those realms lead us to "Stepford"? I'm pretty happy with my identity, personality and behavior as it is.

Personally I think the opposite is true. The more I learn about how the brain and mind function the more awed I am in how it all works

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Do you have a problem with this?

no, i agree with your thoughts.

Do you think that you are MORE than what your brain does?

no.

Why? What evidence do you present to yourself?

i would argue that we are not even more than our brains even physically, as in bodily biological functions. it seems that when the brain dies, so does the mind but also physical processes.

Who is you?

my brain is the hardware, my mind is the OS. i am trying to opensource it, but the reverse engineering is taking so long. damn you microsoft! ...er, i mean, God.

(The above is a condensed version of an interesting webpage EBON MUSINGS which I thought might lead to interesting discussion.)

ebonmusings.org is one of my favorite sites of all time. cheerio!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit