Timeline of Berry girls' case

by loveis 21 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

No I'm not suggesting that. I'm just puzzled at these two statements and how they can be harmonized, If the mother didn't hear form Holly about the abuse until after the divorce? Did she suspect something years before and went to the elders? That to me seems like the only explaination.

According to the transcript she went to the elders because her husband was physically and emotional abusive.

Also, according to the transcript, as far as I know the mother claims that she did not know or suspect child abuse until after he moved out, but of course if she did know she is also culpable as well.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Merc,

I seem to remember a video clip where Sarah(the mother) said that becasue she was taught that they were God's organization and because of the extreme control that the Organization and Elders have over her she didn't go to the police,,which would indicate to me she knew of the sexual abuse even before her daughter later confirmed it. I hear often in these cases that the mother knows but is doesn't know what to do since they rely on the husband as bread winner. It is a real terrible situation, I really feel for them, and hope things work out in thier favor.

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Lawyers are sneaky bastards... sorry to all our fellow lawyers on here.

But each side will twist, turn, and tell a story to fit their side of the case. Here in America it really boils down to "How much justice can you afford?"

• Mecurious?
    Mecurious?

OOPS.

I stand corrected, I just watched a portion of suffer the children and the mother stated that she did know.

So now doesn't the mother share a portion of blame in this as well?.......

• loveis
    loveis

Frankiespeakin, Blondie:

Thank you for pointing out this apparent discrepancy. The explanation lies in the difference between the two types of abuse, physical and sexual. Sarah definitely knew the girls were being physically abused and beaten at the time it was happening, and this is what she was asking for help from the elders for. As for the sexual assualts upon Holly, these were of course cleverly kept from Sarah by Paul Berry, and, although Sarah states she did have some suspicion of sexual abuse at the time, she did not actually accuse Paul of sexual abuse at the time since she had no proof. It was only at that later time, after Holly returned from running away, that she confirmed to her mother that the sexual assaults had taken place. This was the first time she had told anyone of the sexual assaults.

So, there is no contradiction here, although I should have made that a little more clear. Thanks again for pointing this out.

• blondie
    blondie

Thanks for the clarification, loveis.

• loveis
    loveis

bttt

• loveis
    loveis

bttt as we await the decision (perhaps this week?)

Is the fact that they are taking so long to decide the case (more than 6 months now since oral arguments) good news or bad? What do you think?

It appears to be the trend for NH Supreme Court cases to be decided in a period shorter than that, but what probably necessitated a longer period in this case was the fact that, in addition to the Berry girls' appeal, the WTS also filed a CROSS appeal, which doubles the amount of paperwork and deliberation normally necessary. At any rate, there shouldn't be much longer to wait (they recess for summer soon!)

While we wait, don't miss the chance to hear the oral arguments for yourself if you have not done so:

http://www.courts.state.nh.us/supreme/recordings/2004/2003-0779.mp3

• loveis
    loveis

bttt as we STILL await the decision....

• Will Power
    Will Power

I think the longer the better....hope they are reading some of Steven Hassan & Ray Franz's books.

will

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit