From Lurker to Newbie

by Silverleaf 13 Replies latest jw experiences

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Hello all,

I've been lurking on this board for a few months and realize I'm addicted so I finally decided to post. I'm not a Witness and never was - I was shunned before I could even begin to study because I asked too many hard questions and had the audacity to want to be engaged to JW. The relationship ended when his 'loving family in the Truth' told him they would shun him if he didn't break it off. He chose them over me and for a while I was so devastated by this that I was terrified of all religion and especially of JWs - I figured any group with that much power over someone's personal life had to be dangerous.

It's been a long time since then and I've found my way finally, but can't help being fascinated with what I read here. You're stories are heartbreaking and I can't help thinking any group would be better off with so many intelligent, caring people as members. The WTS doesn't know what it's lost.

My best to all of you, I look forward to joining in the discussions.

Silverleaf

• Tina
    Tina

Welcome aboard Silver!
    Looking forward to your thoughts,,regards,tina

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Hi Silverleaf:

Glad you asked the hard questions before getting sucked right in to the cult.

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Expatbrit

• think41self
    think41self

Hiyo Silver!!!

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one! Welcome to the board. I am sorry your first experience with JW's was so personally painful for you...but I am also glad that was your last contact with them, so to speak.

I agree with you...that religion has LOST their best and brightest. The people I've met here on this board are far superior in intellect and simple human kindness than most JW's I ever knew in my 36 year "membership". Anyway, I look forward to hearing more from you.

think41self

"When agnostics die, do they go to the great perhaps"?

• waiting
    waiting

Hey Silverleaf,

I figured any group with that much power over someone's personal life had to be dangerous.

And you figured right. Look how much time, effort, money and grief you saved yourself in the long run! I'm sorry for the pain you went through, glad you've overcome.

Welcome here - and look forward to your posts.

waiting

• waiting
    waiting

Hey think41self,

That was pitiful. Funny - but pitiful, nonetheless.

Hiyo Silver!!!

Besides, I always thought it was "Hi Ho, Silver!"

Someone here knows..........

waiting

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

Hi to all you guys and ladies! Your stories are interesting, and some heartbreaking. Silver, you are lucky. I am lucky too. Although for a long time I just didn't know it. I have had the WTS in my life since my mother opened the door to them when I was 5 years old. I've often wondered what makes some people so saceptable to their bull-ona and others run like heck when they see them coming? I come from a family of 5 siblings. Two are witnesses and three are not. Why and how did three escape? I am just so thankful that I escaped!

This is the first time I have ever posted to a discussion group so have patience. I'm so glad you are all out there. My story is a long one and if you want to know I will try to give a little of it at a time.

minds are like parachutes--they only function when open.

• Silverleaf
    Silverleaf

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!And hi, California Sunshine. I do consider myself lucky looking back now, but at the time I felt terribly rejected, like God's people didn't want me because I couldn't conform to their rules. The sad part was, my former fiance's real family were NOT JWs. He left them behind as well to join his new friends. I often wonder how far he's advanced in the organization and if he's come up against any of the things I've read about here that would surely cause him to doubt.

It's good to finally meet all of you. I've been lurking so long I feel like I know you.

Silverleaf

• Andee
    Andee

Hi Silverleaf...

I'm still pretty new here also. Welcome!

Hi California Sunshine. From one Californian to another..Welcome!

Andee

• Prisca
    Prisca

Just want to say hi and welcome to Silverleaf and California Sunshine!

Glad to have you on board!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit