What is the most accurate translation....

by jaffacake 17 Replies latest jw friends

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

I have just read a couple of excellent booklets ordered from R Watters freeminds site dealing with the tetragrammaton.

The NWT seems to be an accurate translation of Hebrew scriptures, and correctly reinstates an English alternative to the Tetragrammaton.

But they NWT New Testament is wholly unacceptable (although the Kingdom interlinear portoin seems excellent). Does anyone know which is the most accurate translation of the Greek Christian Scriptures on the market? Or indeed the most reliable version of the whole Bible?

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

I think if you ask 20 people you might get 15 different answers.

My belief is that the King James is the most accurate, however, hard to read. So I have that one and a New Living Translation, and a American Standard.

• carla
    carla

I have the NASB/NIV Greek Parallel and a RSV from when I was little. It is interesting to see the Greek compared to the other versions as well as the KIT greek portion. Also see Witness Inc, they have some good stuff on translation and the tetragramatton. But, keep in mind I was never jw nor ever will be, so I see things a bit different than you. carla

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Greetings:

Very debatable question. Bible Translation has always been part science (historian, archaeologist, graphology, paleography, etc.) and part art-form.

The NWT is not a bad translation, if a bit dry in its selection of language since the translation committee strove to create a "literal" rendering without embellishment.

Other translations use much more interesting and some would say beautiful words in their translations.

So like the previous poster said the answer to your question is going to get various responses depending on the poster's own views.

It so happens that I am reading this excellent book at the moment: "Essential Guide to Bible Versions" by Philip W. Comfort Ph.D. which examines the question you postulate. I am only 40 pages in so I don't know what his conclusions are yet but I would recommend it for reading. I got this copy at the Public Library.

-Eduardo

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

This is a subjective judgment imho, because translation is more of an art than a science and there are different strengths and weaknesses between the translations you want to compare. Most if not all are biased in some way, some more biased than others. Since the NWT is biased in a way that supports JW doctrine (e.g. "a god" in John 1:1, "inspired [expression]" for "spirit", "taking in knowledge" for "know", "mental-regulating" for "discipline", "exercise faith" for "believe", the blatant insertion of "Jehovah" in the NT, etc.), it would certainly behoove a JW to compare renderings with a non-JW literal translation, if literal is what the person wants. I think deciding on a Bible is like trying to decide what kind of digital camera to buy, it depends on your own needs and what features you are looking for. Literal translations abide more to the original idiom and wording, but I like translations that are a little more idiomatic. For years I read the NWT but the way it was phrased made it very hard for me to understand the flow of the argument and rhetoric in a letter like Romans or Colossians, where I would read a long paragraph and not understand what Paul was getting at. I like the Jerusalem Bible because it is a little more idiomatic and has helpfully broken a book into sections and subsections, so that it is very easy to see the way the argument is going. Then, once you have gotten the gist of the argument and understand what the author is saying, then you can go to a literal translation and see more accurately how things were phrased. Or, if you know something of the original languages, then you can consult the Greek or Hebrew text (or start with it, for that matter), because then you can see why some passages are ambiguous or difficult to translate. I personally prefer the JB and the RSV, the ASV is a little more literal and less elegant, whereas the NIV is more idiomatic and has been criticized as being less accurate. I think it is best to compare multiple translations against each other rather than settling on one as the "most accurate", because no translation is perfect, each has its flaws, and only by comparing them or understanding the original languages would you know whether or not a given reading is idiosyncratic to your own version.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Scholars I respect have said good things about the New Jerusalem Bible.

http://www.bible-researcher.com/new-jerusalem-bible.html

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Ok so I am like at page 170 in this book.

There are a lot of good sources on the Net if you want to spend some time. I found these links interesting:

http://www.ibs.org/bibles/translations/index.php

http://www.universalteacher.org.uk/bible/englishbible.htm

http://www.bessel.org/bibles.htm

http://www.bible.ovc.edu/terry/interpretation/translat.htm

This last link is really interesting as it places the New World Translation very close ot the "literal" end of the spectrum.

Regarding the NWT:

I have to say that in reading this book which is very enlightening and comparing what Dr. Comfort (the author) is saying about what is "good" and what is "bad" in some translations with the renderings in the NWT, the NWT is not coming off very bad. In fact in many ways it is very good.

Two of the most outstanding ways seems to be in word-choice and the source texts/editions used.

For example in discussing why the RSV failed to really gain acceptance he explains for example that its rendering of Isaiah 7:14 reads "young woman" instead of the KJV version of "virgin" and that many fundamentalists/conservative christians spurned the RSV specifically for its translation of this scripture. Dr. Comfort notes that the Hebrew word there is 'almah which "generally refers to a young girl who has passed puberty and thus is of marriageable age" and that another Hebrew word (not used) in the Isaiah scripture of bethulah specifically means a virgin. Dr. Comfort notes that despite this the Septuagint trnaslators translated 'almah as parthenos which denotes a virgin.

I thought that it was very interesting that as an aside he states that the english word "maiden" is the best equvalent word for 'almah. So I looked up the scripture in the NWT and yup, they used "maiden". (This is just one example of what seems to be the case over and over with the NWT which is why it appears to me that in some ways the NWT is superior when it comes to word choice than some other translations.

I find it very interesting that the NWT gets extremely bad reviews by everyone out there but such negative viewpoints are based upon two chief criticisms

1. the lack of academic credentials of the translation committee. This criticism is actually quite weak because it ignores the real history of the Bible and previous persons who have had a hand in bringing forth the bible from bible times to today, many of whom were unlettered themselves. This is just simply an ad hominem attack. The NWT should be judged on the product or on its text itself not on the basis of who created it.

2. Secondly almost every negative view of the NWT cites supposed "theological" bias that was incorporated by the WTS. This argument is just nonsense.

First every other translation and translators also have/had some theological bias of their own, no bible translation was ever prepared in a political or religious vaccum.

And second, these critics never bother to actually point out just WHERE in the NWT such "theological bias" is supposedly evident but in every case that supposedly there is such bias, for example the rendering of John 1:1, there are at least a few translations prepared by others that have the same rendering or meaning. Thus are these other bibles just reflective of Watchtower theology too?

No this argument/criticism stems more from the critic's own biases against the Witnesses than it does from an honest appraisal of the translation.

The summary is that the NWT only failings are what other "literal" translations are sometimes guilty of doing, namely a sacrifice and loss of meaning from the original language.

With Regard to Translating the Bible:

The basic point is that there is no perfect translation and that such is impossible. It is also impossible for ANY translation to claim to be Divinely Inspired or representing faithfully God's Word or the actual autographs of the bible writers.

Bible Translators are faced with a dilemma because they must choose either to lean towards formal equivalence (that is word-for-word or also called "literal translation") as an approach to their work at the sake of losing the beauty and sometimes the meaning of the original language.

Or they must choose dynamic equivalence also called functional equivalence which seeks to translate thought-for-thought but this poses its own problems since we can never be sure of the original writers' meanings not having any extant autographs and such translations are prone to incorporating the biases of the translators even subconsciously.

With Regard to the Two Families of English Translations:

Apparently from what I gather from this book there are two general families of English translations.

The first is that of the King James Version, all of its revisions, and all the other translations that stem from Luther's German translation and Tyndale's English translation.

All of these translations base their translation on what's called the "received text" (Textus Receptus) which came from the work of Erasmus who compiled the first Greek text to be produced on a printing press.

The roots of TR go back to "Lucian of Antioch who produced an edited version of the Greek New Testament which was a definite recension (i.e. purposely created edition.)" Lucian's edited text became the standard in Byzantine which was what Erasmus used. In turn both Tyndale and Luther prepared their respective translations based upon the Erasmus' text and later the KJV scholars/committee used a version of Erasmus' text.

(And needles to say the Hebrew scholarship of the King James translators was incomparable to later Hebrew language scholarship and actuallly quite limited.)

So one could say that all of these translations suffer from the same faults and also posses much of the same beauty when it comes to the ornate and flowery language used. But it is the faults that should worry a Bible Student or Christian because many of these are simply eggregious.

I would say that the translations of this family are not the best and referenced only for the "traditional" rendering or because one enjoys the particular prose involved.

The second family arose when new Greek texts were prepared after the discovery/access to several important codexes and papyri and other writings became available (Codex Alexandrinus -dated ca. 400, Codex Sinaiticus - dated ca. 350 and Codex Vaticanus -dated ca. 325 just to name a few) which occurred after the KJV and as late as the 19th century (not including the discoveries of the 20th century of the Dead Sea Scrolls and Nag Hammadi). These new texts starting with John Mills in 1700, Johannes Albert Bengel in 1730s, Karl Lachman (1831), Samuel Tregelles (1852), and Westcott & Hort (1881) just to mention some of the biggies.

Most modern translations, including the New World Translation I might add, are far superior to the first family because they incorporate this tremendous amount of improved scholarship and body of findings and it is these modern translations that should be used in understanding God's Word and for the basis of theology.

-Eduardo

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The NWT might not be *that* bad were it not for the unwarranted substitution of Lord by "Jehovah" in the NT, which destroys the argument of several texts (e.g. Romans 10). JWs at large don't realise it as they mostly quote verses instead of reading. But I agree with Jaffacake that this alone would be a very good reason for rejecting the NWT.

On the OT the problems are admittedly not that massive.

On another thread, a few days ago, I mentioned the biased translation of the tense of the verb in Genesis 2:19 ("formed" -> "was forming," for the sake of harmonisation with Genesis 1) and realised that the NIV was even worse ("had formed").

The quotation marks added to "Samuel" in 1 Samuel 28:12ff are another discrete, though revealing example of disingenuous "translation".

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

translation of which manuscript? there are several standardized source-texts, which are puzzles of different manuscripts that date not even close to their supposed originals.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Thanks for replies so far, I'll keep delving.

I'm in a dilemma that I now know why the NWT (New Testament) is not divinely inspired (for those who believe in divine inspiration)> That has been proved, in fact it is a most fraudulent distortion of Scriptures.

As for NWT Old Testament, it seems better than most. I am aware of a very serious flaw in the King James, where a line was fraudulently added to support a theological position.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit