I want to get a different Bible than the NWT. Which version?

by ithinkisee 15 Replies latest watchtower bible

• mnb77
    mnb77

There are great varieties of them: to check them out go to http://bible.com/bible_read.html

they are listed by version and you can read them online.

I like the New Living Translation. This is the type of Bible i have and it has done me well and i compare it with the King James Version.

hope it helps!

mnb77

• Honesty
    Honesty

I have 11 translations and like the Holman Christian Standard Version the best.

• blondie
    blondie

I like the Message Bible; it makes me laugh at times with its rendering.

I also like the Contemporary English Version, New Living Bible, and the Amplified Bible. I also use the New Jerusalem Bible to balance out the Protestant viewpoint.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/

Is a good online resource too.

I find it is good to read larger chunks of the Bible to get a feel for the time, the culture, other events in tandem. It is good to look at the time covered and the time written, the writer, his background and his place in the time he is writing in. Maps are good too when place names are used. Don't feel you have to read from Genesis to Revelation. A chronological reading can be helpful.

Blondie

• lawrence
    lawrence

I have a copy of Libronix (Logos) software and the OnLine Bible Software - I appreciate both of them. I think Anchor is great on Wisdom books, I enjoy the Jerusalem for the prophets, as well as the Soncino Press Commentaries, and Berkeley for the Pentateuch. J.B. Philips I love for the Greek Scriptures, as well as the Amplified and the NWT - NOT! The best thing with the Online Bible is to have Hebrew texts, Greek texts, lexicons, as well as commentaries all simultaneously in different windows. The Online Bible is affordable and an excellent tool.

Blondie-

My Baptist preacher buddy turned me on to biblegateway. Excellent site.

• Satanus
    Satanus

The NRSV is the best balance between the king james accuracy and newer research, along w a reasonably good modern language. The dead sea scolls research is incorporated.

S

• SixofNine

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit