Anyone know anything about the Puritans?

by JW83 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JW83
    JW83

Hi, just wondering if any scholars out there can point me in the direction of good stuff on the Puritans?!

Thanks, Jayne

• EvilForce
    EvilForce

Well I'm sure the society has plenty of material on the Puritans...no need to go to the library. Why else would the FDS go to so much trouble to write about this.

I'm sure there's a conversation stopper helper...."When someone says's - I'm a Puritan"

• avishai
    avishai

Yes. They were intolerant bigots. Persecuted Quakers, bored holes in their tongues burned them at the stake. Matter of fact persecuted anyone who was'nt them etc. They were jerks as a rule.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I believe they were supporters of Oliver Cromwell, but after the monarchy was reestablished in England, they were persecuted by more mainstream Christian ecclesial communities. So they came over to American on the Mayflower.

They didn't like to do anything on Sunday. I believe King James II, or I, issued a book about things to do on Sundays just to annoy them. That's what I remember from history.

• watch_out
    watch_out

This should get you started - [url]http://www.spurgeon.org/~phil/puritans.htm[/url]

• JW83
    JW83

LOL, I'll be sure to include your bits of interesting information in my essay!

• Mulan
    Mulan

they were my ancestors

.............later, so were the Quakers.

...............and then Congregationalists

..............then Christian Scientists

.........finally JW's

I didn't have a chance..........too many wierd religion genes

• bavman
    bavman

sorry...i'm a member of the not-so-puritans...

• JW83
    JW83

Me too, that's why I need help!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I have a reference book that attempts to list all puritan literature in and out of print, from pretty well the Reformation to the modern era, Jayne. It is entitled A Guide to the Puritans, by Robert P Martin (1997). If you want to borrow it, just let me know and we can arrange a drop off point.

Stephanus,

of the "The birds fly South when the weather turns frosty";"The wind blows swiftly through my Grandmother's knees", class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit