Garage sales

by poppers 25 Replies latest jw friends

• poppers
    poppers

From reading this site I've learned that JWs frown up buying used clothing etc. from second hand stores because of possible 'demonization.' My neighbors are JW and I notice that they have fairly frequent garage sales. So I guess it's ok for them to sell their stuff because, naturally, whatever they have cannot be demonized I suppose. Seems a little strange to me to accept money in their sales from those controlled by demons, doesn't it?

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Do what I say and not what I do.....

Hey, I met an Elder(tm) in a Salvation Army Thrift Store a few weeks back, buying books. He is supporting another Christian organization!

• SeymourButts
    SeymourButts

I have never heard of that one. I used to go garage sale'ing all of the time with my mom......many moons ago.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

In my exerience, that was not a common belief among most witnesses. There may have been a few kooks (within the larger pool of kooks!) who may have thought that about all garage sales, but 99% of the witnesses I knew loved to shop at Garage Sales! In fact, their Friday morning (and sometimes Saturday) field service consisted of return visits purposely mapped among the path of the best garage sales!

There was a common belief, it seemed, that some garage sales had items that might be considered demonic ... like records and such, demonic symbols or books. They believed that if they had very obvious "demonized" items, then there might be a chance that some of their other items might be demonized. My mother would make us leave that garage sale and not allow us to buy anything. I only remember it happening a handful of times, though. Definitely not an everyday occurence, and definitely did not keep us away from all garage sales.

Did anyone else have this experience?

• loosie
    loosie

I personally have never seen a object that was demonized. while I do believe they exist. I don't think they inhabit objects such as record albums, jewlery furniture or old clocks. I think they have better things to do then wait for someone to pick them up at garage sales and take them home.

Ps: have you noticed they haven't been any stories about a cassette tape or a cd being demonized. Or maybe they just don't talk to me about it anymore. lol

• kj
    kj

Maybe that is just some JWs? My JW aunt loves garage sales and occasional garbage picking.

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing
    Ps: have you noticed they haven't been any stories about a cassette tape or a cd being demonized. Or maybe they just don't talk to me about it anymore. lol

Yes I have, but then again they don't talk to me about it anymore, either! I think maybe they have just switched their focus lately from demonzied music to demonized games and cartoons!

• Carmel
    Carmel

loosie, my dear, what better thing could these demenz do but lurk around in smurfs and used 8tracks and CDs? Think of it, what a perfect hideout. Who would ever guess? Of course the true believer would have to admit that the wealthy who never slop around at second hand stores would be demenz-free.

carmel

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

A lot of JWs are afraid of garage sales because of demonized items. The theory is that you do not know what the owner "was into" and that you might have a problem if you brought something into your home. I heard of instances of demonized furniture that had to be gotten rid of. Don't laugh, but I once bought an item in an antique-like store many years back. Something gave me the creeps after a day or so and I concluded that it must be that item! I felt really stupid getting rid of it but I did so just the same.

LHG

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

my mother's best friend in one of my old cong.'s actually owns and manages a resale shop. she's been doing this for as long as i can remember, and she's still a pioneer in good standing.

although she DOES bring in some dough, and she is known to be a generous donation giver on a daily basis....

but surely that's just coincedental.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit