JWs and early christians.

by greendawn 14 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It would be interesting to ask what common denominator, if any, existed in the early church. Most would say that it was the proclamation that Jesus had risen from dead, yet there were some groups (such as the proto-gnostic group responsible for the Gospel of Thomas, likely located in eastern Syria) which had far more concern for the words of Jesus, and likely did not view Jesus as dying at all (that is, in the gnostic and docetic sense of the end of bodily life as a departure).

There were factions and villification between factions, but at least some shared the concept of a single, shared ekklesia, such as attested in Paul, in Matthew, and in other sources. It is interesting how Paul called on this ideology to try to bring the different Corinthian factions of Paul, Cephas, and Apollos into unity lest the body of Christ be split. There is also the interesting Matthean concept of the Devil planting lawless Christians in the church, existing alongside those who truly will receive the kingdom, and they will remain inside the group until the Son of Man and his angels remove them from his kingdom.

• El blanko
    El blanko

The Romans observed the 1st and 2nd century Christains as being a superstitious group of people who placed Jesus before other Gods.

They were viewed as being rather "simple" folk who met in private homes where they sang songs together in praise of Christ and ate basic foods.

This eating of basic foods possibly caused problems with merchants, as it is suggested that in certain areas where Christians refused sacrificial offerings, trade was being affected and the authorities were made aware of this!

Jesus was defined as a magician and a rumour went around Rome suggesting that he had learnt his skills in Egypt, amongst the magic practitioners there.

This accusation was serious, as the practise of magic was outlawed within the Roman Empire and this slur against Jesus would affect the early Christian groups; meaning the Empire would view them with suspicion.

From what I have read, I concur with the other thoughts. There is no evidence that the early Christian Church conducted a regimented preaching work on a door to door basis.

From what I know of the Romans, as tolerant as they were, I cannot see how they would have tolerated this particular intrusion.

I believe the faith would have been more word of mouth and discreet.

Obviously a Christian believes in the invisible reality of God and therefore "nobody comes to the Son, unless the father draws him" (you know the scripture). That is an invisible mechanism and suggests supernatural involvement.

A declaration of faith may be necessary on a personal level, but even the stones would cry out, wouldn't they

Erm... I'm off anyway, hope some of that helps!

• Honesty
    Honesty

All of the first century Christian churches were autonomous and operated independently of one another with no central governing body. The unity and faith among the churches was then as it is today, Jesus Christ was regarded as Lord and Saviour and was worshipped as God.

Over 100,000+ Christians were tortured to death in the first century alone due their refusal to recognise Caesar as God. In one event over 6,000 were put to death during a campaign who were Christian military soldiers in the Roman Army. They agreed to serve Caesar as a superior authority but refused to recognise him as diety.

So much for the 144,000 and no military service by Christians BS spewing out of the WTS's governing body of liars and thieves.

• greendawn
    greendawn

The early christians wouldn't for sure preach door to door after the emperor Domitian made christianity a capital crime in the late first century. The church policy at the time was not to seek martyrdom and not to avoid it if it became inevitable.

Only a few very fanatical ones would turn themselves in in order to suffer martyrdom, so the preaching must have been quiet and discreet evaluating carefully a person before trying to evangelise him/her, because a nasty person could nail them with the local authorities.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Honesty, could you provide any historical references to what you wrote about Christians serving in the Roman army who were put to death? I thought I heard that when one joined the Roman army they had to take an oath to the emporer as a deity or something like that, so I can see how Christians would object to signing up. But in light of how John the Baptist counseled soldiers on doing their jobs concientously and being happy with their wages, I can see how there could have been some converts who remained in the military.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit