What book helped "open your eyes"

by Shawn 39 Replies latest jw experiences

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Anybody ever read Persepolis? Now there's a book to make you think, especially if you're a visual learner like me. Maus is a good one too, same genre. I think that both of these books contain plenty to make an honest dub question their own religious mindset. I think that if I had gotten ahold of one of these books during my dub days that my exit would have happened sooner.

• dh
    dh

for myself i have never read any books about jw's by ex jw's or by anyone else for that matter.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

i started to read the bible and look up scriptures on subjects i wasnt to happy with, like blood/144,000 etc. i could only come to the conclusion that the JWs were wrong on certain important issues. then i read CoC and from that point i knew i was going to be leaving.

• poppers
    poppers

Without question, The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. After spending nearly 30 years in search of 'something' that I could not put my finger on, PON opened me up to the discovery of what I really am. With that discovery came the cessation of all seeking, for what I discovered was that in the realization of my very essence was fulfillment, contentment, and peace. By knowing what I actually am, there came a natural and spontaneous relationship with everything else that is rooted in acceptance and love - fear, judgment, and labels of myself and others have evaporated, leaving peace, stillness, and being.

• Shawn
    Shawn

Thanks J. I hope you find it. I know that planting the seeds is all I can do. I am just starting to except that fact. It is hard but it is all I can do. I am going to read about cults and mind-control to get a better idea of things.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Shawn,

Since you are not a former dub, I don't think ALL of COC will hit you that hard. I think your time could be spent better elsewhere. There are some very good chapters in it though. Read the ones about Predictions and Presumptions through to This Generation. It will give you a good rundown of the bs and where to find it in their pubs.

The rest of it is just his story, and what he went through. It got kind of long winded sometimes. You can tell this guy used to write for the WT. I do recommend it for Cat-er-day though. From what I hear, that book really opens jw eyes and shatters their world.

It is the blue pill.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

1. The bible and

2. the Isaiah and Daniel books. Geez those things are broken records "1914" "1918" "1919" "Ceder Point OH" "Babyonish Captivity"

• googlemagoogle
    googlemagoogle

same as almostatheist and ip_sec.

i would have never touched an "apostate" book, not because of my own feeling, but the first thing the elders would ask if you have doubts is "did you read apostate literature?", which i never had to lie about (now the internet is another issue). still havent read coc or similar literature.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

The Bible Unearthed by Isreal Finkelstein

&

The Pandas Thumb by Stephen J. Gould

anything by Richard Dawkins or Carl Sagan

• garybuss
    garybuss

I think The Age of Reason kinda put the cap on for me. I don't think one book "opened my eyes". I got an education and objective reality didn't support my superstitions and religious delusions. I'm a rather prolific reader and I once counted over 200 books I had read on psychology, philosophy, sociology, and history, then I realized I had read most of the Watch Tower Publishing Corporation produced books, and I realized I forgot to count the books in one whole bookcase. So I guess I'm a product of my experiences plus my education.

I think of myself as a student in search of a sage . . . a work in progress.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit