Anyone here help rebuild after a hurricane affected the witnesses?

by PaNiCAtTaCk 3 Replies latest jw friends

• PaNiCAtTaCk
    PaNiCAtTaCk

I went with some in my congregation for a couple of weeks when hurricane andrew hit Florida in the early 90's. We slept on the floor of an assembly hall there. Then I also went to St. Thomas V.I. to help when hurricane marilyn hit them in around 95. I was able to stay like 3 weeks and it was an amazing experience. Did anyone else here help with the clean up and rebuild after either of these hurricanes

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I was out by then, but my x husband (still a jw) did. He went to one of the islands ( don't know which one) He relayed the following story that I think is very ironic. He didn't get it though.

He helped to rebuild the house of an elderly man who had been a Catholic most of his life. He had started studying with the JWs, and stopped going to the Catholic Church. When the hurricane took his home, he went to the Church and asked for help. They told him to ask the JWs since he had left the Church for them. So, the JWs helped him. My x thought this showed how hypocritical the Catholic Church was.... I said...ok, turn it around. If he had left the JWs to go the the Catholic Church, would the JWs help him then? I waited for an answer.... not a word....

Coffee

• ShadowX
    ShadowX

LOL coffee_black

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

My view would be that in the scenarios described, both JWs and Catholics would be taking the un Christian standpoint. Perhaps we should try to imagine how Jesus have advised us to respond in that situation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit