I was snubbed by a 'dub

by Dawn 30 Replies latest jw friends

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Josie:

On one such occasion they brought up their grown son of about 30 (who is a cancer survivor but whom they treat like a child).

Childish behavior and yes rude but he's been trained to act like that by his parents who obviously didn't correct his behavior when they saw him do it. Unless they sent him to his room when they got home, you never know.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

eduardo...i think you made an excellent point and i have nothing to add

signed....tjmax or whatever

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Rude schmood. Snubbed schnubbed. Do your job 9-5. If one of your friends does that to you then there's an issue for you to investigate. I understand this is a JW related board and you posted your anecdote here because it's your story, but honestly, Witnesses have every right to do what they think is best under whatever circumstances provided they don't break the law. If some guy who was a dedicated member of my secular guild up and quit and derided it and then said things against it, and one day out of the blue tried to be friendly with me, I'd probably be taken aback and not sure how to handle the situation either. My guess is your Witness co-worker will eventually come around and be civil towards you. Just don't expect him or her to eat lunch with you.

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

What the crap?~What kind of org teaches such fear that a person has to explain why they can't respond to a

hello how are you, have a nice day or whatever~ GEESH. If this kind of treatment doesn't dissuade a person who is studying

to be a Dub, I don't know WHAT could change their mind.

Shalom, AuntieJ

• freedom96
    freedom96

Well, this witness gal is going to be the one tortured every day, hoping she doesn't run into you. Perhaps she will seek other employment.

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

Hi Dawn, Congrats on the job. Hope all is going well. Was this your first experience with shunning? I remember mine-I was shopping at the grocery store shortly after I DA'd myself (didn't give a reason to the elders, just stated I no longer wanted to be considered JW), and a family whom I'd been very close to came in. I didn't make an attempt to greet them at first (figured they had the right to believe however they wanted-we live in a free country, and I was willing be ignored.However, I was not simply being ignored, I was actively being shunned.The children kept walking by me and GLARING as they wallked down the aisle past me, so I smiled and gave a little wave when the third one did it.She was so shocked by my response, she actually took a step backward, then took off running. Next thing I know, their mom was hauling them all out of the store in a major hurry. Ironically, the song "Devil in a blue dress" was playing, and I was wearing...you guessed it:) Hey, I'm willing to live and let live, and I'm all for freedom of religion, but if they want to be that obvious about it, then I have the right to demonstrate that I don't agree;)

• alw
    alw

dawn, sometimes you dont know whether to laugh or feel sorry for these robotic people as they are only obeying their masters instructions. f.d.s.yeah!

i havent been to a meet in a year now just fading slowly, i havent been df or das, just fading.

while in a hardware store with my son recently we saw a m.s. from the cong. my son who is not a jw said hi! to him, the m.s. said hi! back, i said hi m......... (name del) he turned away and walked back the way he came so as to avoid us, my son said whats his problem? i said hes not allowed to think for himself.

point is i dont know whether to laugh or feel pity for these ones.

you have a great day and dont let them drag you down. mr.alw.

• Dawn
    Dawn
    I wonder if Dawn would have dared to lean over and say "excuse me" or "what did you mumble" if the JW had been the president of the company?

Yes. I would have done the same thing because, in my opinion, it would be rude NOT to acknowledge someone when they speak. So to dismiss someone because they were mumbling is like saying "well - you're not worhty of my time anyways so I'm not going to make an effort to understand you."

Eduardo - I appreciate your point of view however. I don't agree with you - but it's always good to hear from another perspective. That's why I appreciate this board, because you will get honest opinions from people of all different aspects, and not just 100 of the same "acceptable" responses.

• delilah
    delilah

Dawn, you did well. I've experienced the same thing many times. At first it really bothered me, as I just faded, and was not DF'd or DA'd. Then one day as i was walking out of a store, an old friend, who lived downstairs from me, was walking in. I held the door open for her, realized who it was and said "hello". She was so rattled, that she quickly jumped out of the way, and went in the "out"door. I turned to her and laughed my head off . After that i was not bothered, in fact I don't even recognize any of them any more. Have you ever been out somewhere, and you might notice someone walking ahead of you, then all of a sudden they make some kind of quick jerky movement, so you look???? You realize it is a Witness, and then you see them whispering and you know that You are the topic of their conversation???It happens a lot and now I just laugh and deep inside I feel sorry for them, What goes around, Comes around....that's my motto.

Dee

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

You handled the encounter very well. Keep on being polite and professional to all your co-workers, regardless of their religion, gender, race, etc.

DY

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit