Ode to an Elder

by Nosferatu 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

He was an older man. A man that I looked up to. He was also a business man who owned his own plumbing business. But he was a wise man. A man who told me many things. He related his knowledge to me, and how I looked up to him. He would tell me that neither him, nor me would ever die. The old man seemed quite fond of me.

He would make me very comfortable in his home whenever he related his knowledge to me. He would buy root beer for me to drink every Friday when we would sit down together, and I'd learn. I'd learn of many wonderful things that have happened in the past, and many wonderful things that would happen in the future.

A few years later, I left the old man. I became what he never wanted me to be. I disregarded everything that he taught me from his vast knowledge. He came to visit me one day and told me he loved me and missed me. I felt like a fool having this old man telling me his love for me.

I saw the old man again a few years later who again encouraged me to listen to all the things that he taught me from his vast knowledge. I couldn't help but feel guilty because I still looked up to him. He was still a very knowledgeable and wise man.

Another few years later, I had discovered something disturbing. I had discovered that the wise man's knowledge was made up of lies. However, the lies weren't of his own, but they were lies that were taught to him. These lies were related by him to many other people who came to look up to him. They also found him to be a very knowledgeable and wise man. However, he was wise and knowledgeable with lies.

Then he died. However, he didn't die as a wise an knowledgeable man. He died as an old businessman. His knowledge was invalid because it was all lies. His title of "wise" was stripped of him when I learned that he taught me lies. He then became just an old businessman. A businessman who had wasted his life with lies.

This businessman was a Jehovah's Witness.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Kind of gloomy, but a good post nonetheless, Nos.

Reminds me to bear in mind: these people are VICTIMS, they are propagating a lie only because they think it is truth. We should never forget that; never forget their motivation.

~Quotes, of the "know your enemy" class

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

There is not a lot to say and nothing I coud add to that. Except to heartily agree, I know exactly what yo mean, Nos.

Isnt it sad? The men we looked up to were teaching us rubbish - yet they were good and kind and otherwise intelligent people. There are one or two elders I can think of who were excellent men with courage, and a real gift of handling people . It seemed impossible at one time that all that was wrong, but now I know that it is - totally and completely wrong, and those men are wrong too.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I kind of wonder if a life can be wasted. I think it can't. I think it can just be lived. One of the best people I ever heard about was Mother Teresa. I can't think I'd like to trade lives with her, I don't share her beliefs, and I don't want to do what she did.

Do I respect her? You bet! Do I think she wasted her life? Absolutely not!

I saw a town drunk study with the Witnesses and eventually join them and sober up. He lived the rest of his days as a clean sober useful person. The community was better off, he was better off, and I enjoyed knowing him. He was one of three Witnesses who didn't shun me at the circuit assembly in Sioux Falls in 1992. Do I want what he had? Nope! Do I think he wasted his life? Not at all. I'm glad he found something that he enjoyed that improved his life and improved the community.

This is just the Friday afternoon ramblings of an old man. I am probably wrong. I have a long objective history of being wrong.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

GaryBuss:

No, you are not wrong. It is just that any fundamentalist religion could have lifted that man out of the gutter. It is just that JWs are more aggressive at it! As far as I am concerned, maybe I would be dead today if it weren't for the JWs. After all, I stopped smoking and doing other things that weren't so good either. But it is the bible teachings that really are against these wrong practices. So, if I come away with anything from the JWs, at least it was the fact that I am not practicing things that are detrimental to myself. As far as my bad experiences with them, I'll have to get over it.

LHG

• garybuss
    garybuss

Nosferatu, It sounds like your businessman friend was a good guy. When I remember you after are you are dead, I won't remember you for your beliefs. I'll never really know them will I? I'll remember you for your behaviors, by how you treated me and how you treated people who are important to me. Your good intentions will go with you to your grave, just like your un-acted upon impulses will be gone unseen.

If you were a Witness who treated me good, or an atheist who treated me bad, I'll remember you by how you treated me. If you believed I should be treated bad, but you treated me good, I don't care, I'm gonna remember you as a good person.

LHG, I appreciate your post. The Witnesses could do a lot of good without cancelling much of it out by on purpose mean behaviors like the snubbing and shunning people who are having problems without being abused by their church members.

The Witness's message to the world is, "We are misunderstood.". My message back to the Witness people is, "No, you are being accurately understood and you don't like it.". The Witness Public Relations department wants the public to just look at the good done by the Witness people without exposing the gigantic iceberg of evil lurking just below the surface.

I think the Witnesses are accurately described as a hate group. They are a hate group who wants desperately not to be seen as a hate group while not being willing to give up the behaviors that defines them as a hate group. Can good people survive as a member of a hate group? My .02 . . .

• Stromboli
    Stromboli

Ohhh Boy.....

I have exactly the same experience..... my man is now 89 years old..... I loved him .... looked up to him..... but at the end I didn't do what he told me .... when we speak he always encorages me to listen to his wise words... but I now know, it's not the truth...

now here is the difference....

will he die as just an old man??? no way .....

He will always be MY MAN.... I love him and always will... he is wrong .... but he's MY MAN.... and my friends don't die as "just old men"...even if they're wrong

Ya Man Respect

• hopelesslystained
    hopelesslystained

My Father, an elder for at least 40yrs., lost his specialness to me when he became an elder as he became a fanatic. What a wonderfull person he was before that fatefull time. It turned my Mother (who is very intelligent) into a beaten down old woman. They are now abt 80. Have they wasted their lives? I do not know, maybe it fulfilled something for them. But it certainly did not for me. My brother, an elder, spent the night in jail for beating up his wife,(probably not still an elder, I would hope) one sister is hooked on prescription pain pills and works the system to support her habit, as well as being a hypocondriac, ahemm 25+ surguries?!. And still a Witness. Happily, my other sister simply faded with her family and are all doing well and happy. So, what can I say about the 2 elders as an ode? I am as disappointed and hurt as I feel you may be, Nos.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Reminds me to bear in mind: these people are VICTIMS, they are propagating a lie only because they think it is truth. We should never forget that; never forget their motivation.

And that is the reason they need to be led to Jesus.

• seesthesky
    seesthesky

"One of the best people I ever heard about was Mother Teresa"

what do u know about her?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit