Help for a non-Witness

by hagey 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Jeremy Bravo
    Jeremy Bravo

Hi Hagey,

One of the things that's a major roadblock in my situation is that I do not want my future children raised in the JW religion. I know that's not very open-minded, but I truly believe that that is not a good thing for them to be exposed to until they're mature. Spend more time lurking on this board and you will understand why.

If it was just my girlfriend going to the meetings and not the kids, I would be OK, but she insists that any future children be raised "in the truth." It is a very sticky issue that in the long run can cause an immense amount of pain.

Since our situations are quite different (after reading your answers to my questions), I can only say that you should make sure that you both understand what things are going to be like down the road, and that due to the nature of the WTS, that could change at any moment.

If you can get into a situation like Cygnus, I'm sure that's nice work if you can get it!! :)

Jer.

• Stacey
    Stacey

Hagey,

I was born and raised a JW. Left 12 years ago, and I know that it's not the religion for me, and definitely not the "truth". I would never go back. About a year ago I met a disfellowshipped man and we started dating. He was still in this awful spot that many JWs go thru, of still beliving it all but not sure he'd go back. Well, he decided he could not livee without his "truth" and decided to go back. He still believed all of their theology and started attending meetings again in order to get reinstated.

All I can say is if your beliefs are that different, and if you are both spiritual people, then this will be a very difficult relationship for you. I totally fell in love with this guy. But there is no way that it could have worked!

Everybodys situation is different. So I cannot say it wont work for you. But I know and have corresponded with many people who have been married to JWs and it just adds to the pressure of a relationship. God knows relationships are already hard enough to keep together without religious strife and differences. Most JWs are VERY strong about their beliefs and will not back down on anything.

Sometimes you just have to cut your losses. That is what I had to do. Yes it broke my heart to let this relationship end. But it was all for the best. At the time I knew "he was the one". But really it was not mean to be. There will be someone else that is more of a fit for me. I dont know your whole situation, and I'm sure you love her.... but think long and hard.

I wish you the best,
    Stacey

• nelly136
    nelly136

http://www.ajwrb.org/index.shtml this link might help you a little
    most jws dont actually seem to realise what fractions they are arnt allowed to use, as next of kin you could probably overrule your wifes
    decision for medical treatment but you'll probably have to fight your way past any elder body guards to do it.

another link you might want to check out http://www.freeminds.org/legal/custody.htm

another term you might want to familiarise yourself with is the
    theocratic lie, this is encouraged by the jws to cover their arses when it looks like their faith may be called into question, basically you can mislead whoever you like if an outsider wants to know something that may make the jws look bad

'spiritual endangerment' should anything you do now or in the future (years down the line)give them cause to think youre endangering your
    ladies spiritual well being (or your childrens)she can divorce you and they will be quite happy to do anything to help her escape your evil clutches

discipline at the kh...dont get me started on that one,

and another link you might want to look at www.silentlambs.org

I have known marriages to work where a persons been married to an unbeliever, my nan was married to one and as long as he kept his nose well out of anything and everything to do with jw stuff life ran smoothly, it probably helped because they got married before my nan converted and things werent so strict back then, but most of the people I knew who were married to 'wordly walking deads' were not treated in quite the same way as the 'proper' married couples.

nelly

• myMichelle
    myMichelle

Hi Hagey, welcome to the board.

I’m a non-JW married to a man who was raised by a JW mother and a non-JW father. He walked away from the religion as an unbaptized teenager, but was baptized at the end of 1999, after 9 years of marriage and two kids.

I found out what religion he had been raised in after we had been dating about 10 months. My parents, not clouded by the rosy lenses of love, had found out before that, and tried to caution me about inter-faith relationships. But we were already dealing with a racially and culturally mixed relationship, and religion wasn’t very important to my to-be husband or me, so I listened to their advise but determined love conquered all and things would work out.

Things change when you become a parent. It did for us. You want to pass on your ideas, your traditions, your values, your beliefs, etc. to your children and it wasn’t until then that the dynamic differences in our spiritual beliefs started to emerge.

Luckily, my spouse differs with the WTS’s view on blood, so we at least managed to come to an agreement on whether or not our children can receive blood should the need arise. It did take some persistence to get him to voice such a disagreement with the blood doctrine and to promise that the kids and I do receive blood if the need arises.

Agreements on other issues have not been so easy. There are constant reminders on how different our upbringings have been, not so much on a cultural difference, but on a religious difference. Holidays, birthdays, playmates, school clubs and activities, higher education, and the list goes on. There was/is a continual measuring of how important an issue is to you and where you would draw your line in the sand. I realize that this is a factor in all relationships, but when your views are so different as they can be in a JW/ non-JW relationship it seems to be multiplied exponentially.

I’m not trying to scare you off of the situation, just to give you an idea of what it may be like. My in-laws have been married almost 35 years and my husband and I will be celebrating our 11th anniversary in less than two months. I recommend, if possible (it wasn’t for me) to take an objective look at your relationship and your girlfriend. I don’t know how deep her ties to the WTS go (how many relatives and friends she has in the Org.), the deeper they are, I think the harder it will be for her to compromise on the issues you two disagree on. Getting married will not make any resolutions easier, but adds a whole new layer of complexities.

There may be a push to convert you, if there hasn’t been one already. You may decide that the WTS is for you, if so that will help smooth things out somewhat (just remember there’s a high price for leaving the Org should you change your mind). Conversely, you may try to convert her to your point-of-view and decide to share with your girlfriend some of the things you have discovered about the WTS, but I would advise you to be very careful in how you present the information.

Good luck,
    Michelle

I was just about to post this and I noticed your third post where you mentioned children. It’s a good idea to get agreements on how to raise children before you have them. I thought my kids could attend the KH and other places of worship and then decide as adults what was right for them. Only after attending the KH myself and reading the WT literature did I see how skewed the Org’s teachings are—there are two sides, good and evil and no middle ground. Interfaith activities definitely fall into the realm of evil in the WT’s point of view. Just some information I thought you should know.

• Sarah
    Sarah

one thing I know for sure: marriage is hard for 2 people who share the same beliefs, let alone, 2 people who don't. Really think about what you're getting into. Right now she might be understanding that you don't want anything to do with the religion, but wait till after you marry her. The pressure will be on. Will she guilt you into it--some women marry unbelievers thinking they can change their mate's mind! If you have kids will she say things like "well I guess Jehovah will provide our children a new father in the new system"? i know of several sisters who used that to get their husbands to the meetings! I am very sorry for the situation that you're in-- my advise to you is to get out now or you are gonna have a long, hard road ahead of you! TRUST ME!!

I wish you the best,
    Sarah

• myMichelle
    myMichelle

Stacey,

Your story is familiar, but your email is locked, so I couldn't verify whether you are the Stacey I have emailed. Did you post at H2O as Stacey1972? If so, Hi!! how have you been??? If not, Hi! nice to meet you.

Michelle

• hagey
    hagey

I just want to thank everybody who has responded so far, I appreciate your kind words! Each reply may be different but they are all helpful.

I know many of you think it may be better to just let go and let the pain of losing her subside with time. But, she means so much to me that I'm not willing to give up on our relationship. She encompasses my entire world; she's the first thing I think of when I wake up, the last thing I think about as I fall asleep and everything else in between. I can't imagine my life without her. I'm willing to face the battles ahead in a marriage of different religious beliefs. The easy way isn't always the right way and I'm willing to fight our battles of indifference because the reward is so sweet. If we could only overcome this one hurdle I think it opens the door to understanding and compromise that will allow us to live a successful and completely joyous life together.

I need her to understand just how important she is to me. I'd put myself in front of any danger that faced her to keep her safe. I know that together we could have so much together if only she would be willing to take that chance. I just don't know what else to offer. Shouldn't someones religious beliefs be something that they find for themselves? I fully accept that she wants to introduce any future children to her belief system, but is mine less important because it's not as structured as the Witness system? You become a team in all matters of life when you choose marriage, especially when you decide to have children together. Do we not have an equall say in their religious up-bringing? Can we not introduce them to both sides of the equation and let them decide for themselves when the time is right for them?

Am I asking too much?

• Sarah
    Sarah

Yes, you are asking for too much (from them). The witnesses don't work like that. That is why so many families have been torn apart, it is either their way or NO way, no in between. It sounds like you have already made up your mind anyway, so what kind of advice are you really seeking?

Sarah

• Stacey
    Stacey

Michele - Yes it's me! Things are great. Thanks for asking. It sounds like things are going well for you too? I hope the situation is getting better!

Hagey - You sound like a good man. I think I've discovered in my young 28 year life that love does not always conquer all. It sounds like you have some wonderful ideals. I hope that those ideals will work for you.... I really do.

Stacey

• Vienna
    Vienna

The biggest thing that helped me come out was the Bible. I was shown scripture after scripture of things that the WT did that wasn't in line with what the Bible actually taught (real Bible translations compared to their New World's Translation). Once I saw they didn't teach correct doctrine, the rest fell in place--the false prophecies, the leaders making up their own theology, etc. You need to come at her with facts, not emotion. You can e-mail me for further information, if you want.

But of course, that's a long process (and maybe even after that she'll never leave), and I can understand you want an immediate resolution. Look at the facts: I can see your main concern is your future children, which is very practical to consider. Not just the blood issue (which is too serious to leave up in the air--it's a life or death decision, please remember that), Jehovah's Witness children can have no Christmas, no birthday's, no Thanksgiving, they can't say the pledge of allegence in school, 4th of July fireworks is considered wrong because of the patriotic aspect, they can't be apart of after school things like football, cheerleading, etc., they can't have any friends who aren't Jehovah's Witnesses. They are expected to go in field service with their parents on Saturday's when most kids are leading normal lives playing with friends. They are expected to not only study for all of the meetings with their parents (five meetings a week), but they are pressured to comment also. THE LIST IS ENDLESS! These are JW rules, and not from our loving heavenly Father. Jesus came to lighten our load, not make it heavier. The older a JW kids get, they are expected to do more (for boys, they are expected to have duties at the Kingdom Hall and if they don't do it, they are considered not in "good standing"). Just is just words, but the truth is, there is so much JW kids are put through, emotionally and mentally. I was raised a JW, and like me and others on this board know, it's an unfairly hard life to grow up in.

You are dealing with a cult, this is not just "some religion" as I'm sure you're starting to see. And I hate to tell you this, but I know of many situations like this were the kids grow up as JWs, and KIDS AND THE WIFE end up leaving the "worldly" mate because he/she never accepts it as the "truth". It happened to a friend of mine, and now he is left alone, his three kids willingly gone to service the WT with their mom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit