The Year's Text: What's the point?

by Nosferatu 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Okay, I can see why they have the Daily Text. It fulfills the need for a horroscope (sorta), although nobody is anxious to read the damn thing to see what the day is going to bring them.

But what about the Year's Text... What's the point of it? It doesn't give an outlook for the year. It gives nothing.

How about reviving the idea of a new JW calendar, renaming everything with bible scriptures.

The date today is Bad Associations Spoil Useful Habits, All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial

Tomorrow is This Good News of the Kingdom will be Preached in all the Inhabited Earth, All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

Well since they can't put up holiday decorations, they have to look forward to something every year. LOL

• blondie
    blondie

The thing to remember that the WTS is a publishing company and the goal is to get the sales people whipped up emotionally to go out there and sell the product.

My hubbie thought before he was a JW, while he was a JW, and now that we are gone that the service meeting is just a sales/marketing meeting.

Rah, Rah,

Blondie

• Quotes
    Quotes

I agree with Blondie / Blondie' husband, and would further add:

The "Theo-Crap-ic Ministry Skule" is a public speaking skills training workshop, with the skills learned useful for those in face-to-face sales, such as door-to-door(tm) book selling... whoops, I mean door-to-door(tm) book "placements(tm)". While some have suggested they found this extremely beneficial, my opinion is it is very weak and rudimentary; better than no training at all, but you could learn much more, and learn faster, by reading a few books, joining Toastmasters, or taking a night school class.

The "Service Meeting(tm)" is mostly a "tactical sales training" seminar:

• what we are selling this month

• how we will sell it

• how to best present the features/benefits of our product to the sales prospect

• how to create and manage repeat sales

• how to overcome objections presented by prospects

• how to overcome objections presented by prospects peer group who are already familiar with the problems with our product

• perhaps most important: how to beg for money and get paid *AFTER* you have closed the deal and have the product in the prospect's hands

Active JW lurkers won't have a problem with the above as long as they (incorrectly) think that the product is the "Message of Good News". Unfortunately, the product is actually books and magazines. The "good news" is merely a device used to categorize/label the product. This device could, just as easily, be about about vitamins or make-up or losing weight or how to become rich or how to meet people or whatever; in all these cases, the product could still be the same: books and magazines. Only the *subject* or *topic* of the product changes.

~Quotes, of the "Professional Salesman" class
  • Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    California Well since they can't put up holiday decorations, they have to look forward to something every year. LOL

Like a new sign in the Kingdom Hall every year? If I had to rely on the WTS for excitement, I'd kill myself. Imagine Paradise Erf. "We got a new lion! I wonder what shape and color his turds will be?" As usual, it turns out to be the same kind of crap the other lions provide. Kinda like the new releases at the convention.

What the hell do they do with the old ones? I think it would be funny to open a storage closet in the KH and find a bunch of the old year's text signs.

Also, those signs aren't cheap.

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

I remember the old days when 'the friends' would pitch in and make the new sign and it was a piece of achievement and pride. Now, from my experience going to the Kingdom Hall several times a couple of years ago, the sign is there just as another sterile piece of non-worship and no spiritual value that the Kingdom Hall meetings have become.

• Jez
    Jez

Yup, every business has a motto.

Jez

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I remember the old days when 'the friends' would pitch in and make the new sign and it was a piece of achievement and pride.

That would actually be cool! Something fun for "The Friends" to do together besides go door to door.

But now it's a store bought piece of shit from a worldly company, just like the Passover crackers.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

When I was a JW, I worked as a salesman for a beauty supply company that was owned by a JW family. During one of the service meetings, the owner of the company that I worked for remarked after a field service demonstration that the pioneers doing the demo were great salespeople.

I remember even as a JW that this made me very uncomfortable.

Jeff S.

• New Worldly Translation

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit