How many Bible studies does it take before brainwashing sets in?

by hubert 27 Replies latest jw friends

• M.J.
    M.J.

THE THREE STAGES OF GAINING CONTROL OF THE MIND (From "Releasing the Bonds" by Steven Hassan):

Unfreezing "breaking a person down":

a. Disorientation/confusion: if a person is kept in a controlling environment long enough, hearing disorienting language and confusing information, he will usually suspend his critical judgement and adapt to what he percieves everyone else is doing?the tendency is to doubt themselves and defer to the group.. b. Sensory deprivation and/or sensory overload : A person can be bombarded by emotionally laden material at a rate faster than he can digest. The result is a feeling of being overwhelmed. The mind snaps into neutral and ceases to evaluate material pouring in. c. Physiological manipulation

1. Sleep deprivation

2. Privacy deprivation

3. Change of diet

d. Hypnosis

1. Age regression

2. Visualizations

3. Storytelling and metaphors

4. Linguistic double binds, use of suggestion. A double bind forces a person to do what the controller wants while giving an illusion of choice. Example: "If you admit there are things in your life that aren?t working, then by not taking the seminar, you are giving those things power to control your life."

5. Meditation, chanting, praying, singing

e. Get the person to question self-identity--
    most cults bombard them with the idea that they are badly flawed.

f. Redefine individual's past (forget positive memories of the past)

Changing "the indoctrination process"

a. Creation and imposition of new "identity," done step by step: new behaviors, thoughts, & emotions

1. Formally within indoctrination sessions--
    rule of thumb is: "Tell him only what he can accept."

2. Informally by members, tapes, books, etc.

b. Use of Behavior Modification techniques

1. Rewards and punishments

2. Use of thought stopping techniques

3. Control of environment

c. Mystical manipulation

d. Use of hypnosis and other mind-altering techniques

1. Repetition, monotony, rhythm--
    repetition focuses on certain central themes. The recruits are told how bad the world is and that the unenlightened have no idea how to fix it. This is because ordinary people lack the new "understanding" that has been brought by the leader(s). The group is the only hope of lasting happiness: "your ?old? self is what?s keeping you from fully experiencing the ?new truth.? Your ?old concepts? are what drag you down. Your ?rational? mind is holding you back from fantastic progress. Surrender. Let go. Have faith."

2. Excessive chanting, praying, decreeing, visualizations

a. Use of confession and testimonials

A common technique is to instruct people to ask God what He wants them to do. Members/recruits are told to study and pray in order to know God?s will for them. It is always implied that joining the group is God?s will and leaving it is betraying it. Perhaps the most powerful pursuasion is exerted by the other members themselves. For the average person, talking with an indoctrinated cultist is quite an experience. You have probably never met anyone else, friend or stranger who is absolutely convinced that he knows what is best for you. A dedicated cult member also does not take no for an answer, because he has been indoctrinated to believe that if you don?t join, he is to blame. This creates a lot of pressure on him to succeed. When you are surrounded by such people, group psychology plays a role?The changing process includes numerous "sharing" sessions, where past evils are confessed, present success stories are told, and a sense of community is fostered?the group vigorously reinforces certain behaviors by effusive praise and acknowledgement, while punishing non-group behaviors and ideas with icy silence.

Refreezing : "building up and reinforcing the new identity" After someone has been broken down and indoctrinated, he must be built up again as the "new man", given a new purpose in life and new activities that will solidify his new identity.

a. New identity reinforced, old identity surrendered

1. Separate from the past; decrease contact or cut off friends and family. A n individual's memory becomes distorted, minimizing the good things in the past and maximizing the sins, the failings, the hurts, the guilt. Special talents, interests, hobbies, friends, and family are abandoned?prefarably in dramatic public actions?if they compete with commitment to the cause. The member tends to look back at his previous life with a distorted memory that colors everything dark. Even very positive memories are skewed toward the bad.

2. Give up meaningful possessions and donate assets

3. Start doing cult activities: recruit, fundraise, move in with members . He feels a great sense of urgency?many groups teach that the apocalypse is just around the corner.

b. New name, new clothing, new hairstyle, new language, new "family"

c. Pairing up with new role models, buddy system . Primary method for passing on new information is modeling. New members are paired with older members. The "spiritual child" is instructed to imitate the "spiritual parent" in all ways.

d. The indoctrination continues: workshops, retreats, seminars, individual studies, group activities

Summary: breaking someone down by calling into question his present identity, indoctrinating him to change his identity, then reinforcing/maintaining the new identity.

• Shania
    Shania

Included in all this brainwashing is the fear factor and accountibity toward God once you know his will.You are expected to fall right in line with all that JWs have taught you from your own bible, but we insist accurate bible teaching come from the New World Translation. So put your bible away and use ours.

• Poztate
    Poztate
    How many lessons it takes to convince the student that the W.T. is the truth, and to not listen to any advice from outside the j.w. information. Is it 3 lessons? 4 lessons? etc. (average)

I just took a look at the "Truth" book published in the late 1960"s on the run up to "A" in 1975.The second study WARNED that there would be those who would oppose you and the new "truth" that you had found.BEWARE...BEWARE...BEWARE

• Honesty
    Honesty
    All their bible study books start with the happy stuff and towards the end move on to armageddon. By that time, you already "know enough about Jehovah" and might buy into the idea that you now have enough "accurate knowledge" to be destroyed at Armageddon if you don't repent, start preaching, attend meetings and get baptized.

All the above are reasons why the cult is so dangerous to mankind.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

There is no single point when it sets in. In fact, some people study with the Witnesses for years without joining. And in my experience, even students who were regularly attending meetings and considered themselves Jehovah's Witnesses often had some particular point where they were reluctant to drink the doctrinal Kool-aid. Mostly, it's time and repetition that wears them down. They realize that if they want to fit in with this new group of people, there are some things they will simply have to accept, and so they do.

• Krystal
    Krystal

I cannot say really how many "studies" I think it takes since I was "brought up in the truth"

But I can say this, my first memory of my mother his her tucking me in at night and saying, "Thanks Jehovah for your good bed"

I couldn't talk/walk or even hold my head up own my own yet and I was already being "brainwashed"

• ShadowX
    ShadowX

I don't think you get brain washed during your bible study that happens years latter during constant pounding of watchtower and book studies.
    As far as new ones are concern I'd say it is desire to belong something greater than oneself, i.e. desire for meaning of it all. When someone comes with explanation that you can relate to without engaging to many brain cells you're hooked.

That's why after a number of years many realize that in all truth they know really nothing about the "truth" and start investigating. Which is something they should have done in the first place before jumping in. Would've saved many years. But as human we never learn it till we get burned.

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Here is the start of a lengthy article. If you want the whole document, please pm me with an email address & I;ll send.

This article will be examining the following processes:

• How people are encouraged to study with Jehovah's Witnesses
    • How people are encouraged to join, get baptised, and participate
    • How people are discouraged from leaving the Witnesses

I will say very little about the validity of the doctrine of the Watchtower Society. This has been discussed in great detail elsewhere.

AUDIENCE: This article was written for people who have been approached by the Witnesses and want to know what to expect. It may also interest people who are already Witnesses and are starting to wonder why they joined.

At the Door and Into the Home

It's a quiet Saturday afternoon. You're sitting in your favourite chair, reading the newspaper. The doorbell rings. You answer it and encounter two bright-faced people. They're well dressed, and each carries a briefcase. For a moment you think they're going to sell you life insurance, but they seem too cheerful for that.

You guess that they must be Jehovah's Witnesses, and sure enough they start talking about a wondrous hope for the future. They don't actually say they're Witnesses, but when one of them whisks out a Bible you can see some copies of the Watchtower magazine in his briefcase.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit