Hello...new here

by Sabrina 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

Hi Sabrina and welcome.

I have been DF'd for 20 or so years now and my mom is, and always will be, a JW. I have two sons, now ages 19 and 23. When they were small, she used to talk to them about the 'truth' at every opportunity and drag them to meetings whenever possible. They always came home and talked about Grandma's 'crazy religion'. They were never confused about it and never really asked questions about why I never went to the Kingdom Hall. They just knew their mommy wasn't 'one of those' and knew they didn't want to be one either. But, despite this, they loved, and still love, their Grandma.

I wouldn't worry about it and be thankful your mom still wants to be a part of his life. So many people on this board experience the opposite.

Take care,

GH

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Welcome traveller....enjoyed reading about your experience, your in good company, hope to see you round

DB

• jula71
    jula71

Hello and welcome. You will find much support here, many us has have hade similar stories and really help each other. You've come to the right place.

jula71

• Carmel
    Carmel

Hi Sabrina! Glad to hear you have successfully escaped! I left as a teenager and have raised my children without grand parents as their maternal ones died and mine were too much into shunning and indoctrinating for us to spend much time with them. My kids are now grown and very tolerant of others beliefs but have their own convictions. I only wish other UU kids had the same opportunity.

Warme regards,

carmel

• kls
    kls

Welcome to this place

• Sabrina
    Sabrina

Wow, I don't think I have ever been to a forum and received so many warm welcomes. Thank you all for your greetings and the advice. I think I am going to talk to my mother and just let her know that I am going to leave the choice of religion up to my son and I do not want him influenced. I'll ask her to not impose her beliefs upon him and see what happens. If she continues to do it, then I will take further action to monitor their visitations. I suppose what scares me is he is at such an impressionable stage of his life and I know he can be easily influenced. I also like the idea of just being candid with him and tell him the truths of the 'truth'. Thank you again, everyone, for your kindness. ~Sabrina

• kazar
    kazar

Welcome Sabrina

I am also new. I love it here and so will you.

• love11
    love11

Hi there- It looks like we're in the same boat. It's been about 7 years since my mother last spoke to me. I have a daughter that's going to be 9 soon and a son that's 5. The last time she saw my daughter, she was 1 and1/2 and my son she has never met or even seen pictures of. It is really sad what this religion does to families. Hopefully, you will find strength in your new family and learn to move on as we all have had to. It's funny how the jw's think it's ok for them to shove their religion down our throats but you can't say anything to them about your beliefs. Hope things get better for you in that situation. Love

• alw
    alw

welcome sabrina from down under,

my wife and i are new here too and i have to tell you it has helped us heaps to be able to read others posts who are in a similiar situation to us.

i can see already that you have heard from ones in the same situation as you are.listen to these and decide yourself what to do and i hope it all goes well with your mum.

best regards, the alws

• zaphod
    zaphod

hi sabrina

welcome sabrina from a fellow newbie( 4 days old).

i agree with you that when you are brought up as a jw that it is always in the back of your mind, sometimes in the front.

you can take the girl out of the kingdom hall but you can't take the kingdom hall out of the girl, i fear.

i still feel bad (4 1/2 years down the line) about even looking at these websites and would hate my family who are still dubs to know that i do.

but they seem nice people here on jwd.

welcome again

zaphod

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit