And Europeans say Americans are unruly, bad sports....

by CaptainSchmideo 17 Replies latest social current

• CaptainSchmideo
  • jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Morons... Why people get this worked up over a game I will never completely understand. Although, I suspect it has less to do with the game and more to do with blind nationalism.

J

• Dan-O
    Dan-O

"Why people get this worked up over a game I will never completely understand."

You mean you'll never understand the game? Or you'll never understand why people get so worked up over it?

Personally, I can't understand why people even watch soccer, let along get worked up over it. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.

• Bas
    Bas

this has been happening for decades in Europe, although these things only happen once in a while. We have this saying, soccer is war. And it's true, I never saw similar things happen in American sports, but then again I never watch American sports...hmm I do think I vaguely remeber some NBA player beating someone up some years ago...

Bas (of the ashamed of European soccer hooligans class)

PS, Jeannie the clubs in this incident are rivals from the same city, Milan Italy.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

It seems especially baffling that this should occur in Italy too.

Theres another game taking place tonight between Liverpool and Juventus.A repeat of the 1985 European Cup Final where 39 Fans were actually Killed due to hooliganism....mostly Italians died.

The Juve fans have swore revenge on Liverpool...hasnt anybody learnt anything in 20 Years.

Its only a freaking Game ffs.

• whyamihere
    whyamihere

That's Horrible!

A Flare? Come on think of a better choice if your going to throw something...lol Kidding!

I think it is wrong it is just a game you want to throw something? Do what I do break something that means nothing, or you got from someone you hate and never thought of getting rid of it.....Slam doors, curse, scream, and most of all Cry!

Brooke ......Huge Sport Fan!

• Englishman
    Englishman

Bloody Italians.....

Soccer hooliganism isn't as common in the UK as it used to be. However there is always a particular tension when 2 teams from the same city play against each other. Liverpool v Everton, Manchester UInited v Manchester City etc are always heavily policed just in case.

Englishman.

• Whiskeyjack
    Whiskeyjack

I feel it's partly due to the lack of opportunity for peoples (particularly those in urban environments) to exercise "violence" in a participative way. There's been interesting academic work done on Britons' surprisingly positiive attitudes towards organized violence (I can't remember the authors' names). Soccer hooligans are not all unemployed "skinheads".

I think its Sienna (Italy) where they hold that wild horse race every year in order to help manage petty crime by allowing people to "lose it" for a day. Maybe Elijah Wood's (Frodo) new movie about hooliganism will shed some light on this very interesting social subject.

W.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

dan-o..........yeah i guess

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"Morons... Why people get this worked up over a game I will never completely understand. Although, I suspect it has less to do with the game and more to do with blind nationalism."

As one who "gets worked up" every Saturday I have to comment. 1] Few of us are morons , like those Italians who threw things on the pitch. I bet there is an Italian teenager petrified now at the outcome of his stupidity.
    Why does football grab us this way? maybe the beauty & skill of the game,the feeling of identity with your team. When you go to a game especially if you visit an away fixture , it is your side against theirs - comraderie, the uncertainty of the outcome , will right prevail or will we be denied a justified victory ? all these things come into the drama of a football match.

NB These two teams were both Italian neighbours, not from different countries.
    NNB. Blues, who has never thrown anything in anger in his life and denounces those who do..

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit