Job and the resurrection

by peacefulpete 31 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Job had faith in the resurrection, no doubt about it!

On the contrary, there are many reasons to doubt that this is the case. Indeed, the author states very clearly that there is no hope, explains why there is no hope, and illustrates with nature similes how it is that there is no hope. I'm amazed that the very well-articulated position in ch. 14 simply escapes the attention of so many ppl who read the chapter with resurrection-colored glasses. Here is the rhetorical argument distilled down to a minimum (I've marked the critical rhetorical devices in red underline):

1) Man lives and dies.
    2) Man dies because God has predetermined the number of days he lives; when he reaches this limit, he dies.
    3) Man will not surpass this limit that God has set.
    4) For example, a tree has the hope of living again once it has died.
    5) Water can bring it back to life.
    6) But when man dies, he is like a river that has dried up and disappeared.
    7) He does not rise again. In fact, he will never wake from his sleep unto eternity.
    8) Oh, I exclaim, I wish God could instead hide me in Sheol where I could wait for his wrath to subside.
    9) That way my suffering would end, and then when God remembers me, he will bring me back to life.
    10) But no! In reality, man's end is like a mountain that crumbles away.
    11) Instead of bringing a restoration of life, water rubs down stones and washes away what remains.
    12) In like manner, God destroys man's hope of living again.

I don't know about you, but that ain't no resurrection hope to me.

The point of the text you refer to is that, left to themselves, the dead would never wake up.

Actually, the point is that God had decreed a limit to life and thus has destroyed man's hope.

That man or woman who was buried and turned to dust, let's say 5,000 years ago, never woke up, and it doesn't "appear" that they ever will. Yes, they "appear" to be gone forever.

The text does not say that they "appear" to be lost forever, so that in actuality they aren't. On the contrary, they ARE gone forever. God has set a limit that will not be surpassed. A tree has a hope of living again, man does not. Man is like a stone eroded by water and washed away. This is an illustration of how man's hope is destroyed. It doesn't get any clearer than that! A tree has hope, man does not. Moreover, Job says that as long as there is a heaven, man will not wake from death. Not that they only "appear" to be gone forever and really aren't. Again, you've interpreted Job to mean the opposite of what he really says (by adding "appear").

• gumby
    gumby

Leolaia......you'll never convince ol'; schizm cuz the poor bastard don't wanna face the fact his poor arse is gonna end up bein worm food 6 feet deep and that's where his blind ass is gonna stay till someone digs him up in a couple thousand years and figures out it was someone with a magazine buried with him that says "Watchtower" on the cover.

If Job believed in a happy hunting ground or a paradise with lions and tigers and bears and flowers for his future......he woulda asked Jehovah to let him die and be resurrected.......not to "hide him in the ground till Jehovah wasn't pissed at him no more"...............ya dipshitski!

Gumburied

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit