Bethel Trip

by RichieRich 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Mastodon
    Mastodon

If your mom hasn't said anything about Pipe Bombs...maybe you should take one... :)

• RichieRich
    RichieRich
    Really you have 2 ties to your parents that get in the way of fading:

Emotional

Financial

I really do appreciate everyone's input. I value it highly and thank you for your time. However Bondie, with out bragging, I'm set financially due to a few provisions set in place by some of my ancient relatives. Even though I might have serious issues with my parents, I would never exploit them for money (not because I'm nice- because they are essentially broke). And as far as Emotional needs, they've never supported me with those, so why would they start now?

And my reasoning for the DA letter is that, if the Elders catch wind of you celebrating holidays, or involving in some sort of interfaith activities, they view you as having already DAed yourself through your actions. I figure I might as well give the brothers some very strong reasons as to why I'm leaving, and get a few things off my chest in the meantime.

Thanks again

• love11
    love11
    We leave Wednsday morning (April 13) at 6am.

Sorry... I was reading so fast I missed that part.

• jwbot
    jwbot

Hmmm I am going to put myself in my former 17 year old brain for a moment (I am not that old now...so its not too hard).

What would 17 year old Jessie do? (WW-17yo-JD?)

SECRETLY pack that iPod!!! Try to sit with a fellow teenager on the bus not near your parents...thats what I did. Bring paper to doodle naughty pictures...draw silly pictures of other JWs on the bus..that can be fun. When others are singing kingdom songs, sing your own songs (what do you listen to? Emo? Punk?). So you cant wear your boots or camo hat...do you have other "questionable" clothing you could pack away? Wear all black or something depressing looking. Ask if you can check out the dumpster to collect bethelites bad music CDs they were forced to throw out ;)

• Honesty
    Honesty
    No worries there. I'm rebelling as hard as I can right now. One monkey don't stop this show. I've got my DA letter typed, and saved in several places. The day I get out of this house (immediately at 18) the brothers and many more will get to read it. As a matter of fact, I had my DA letter typed before I ever got baptized.

Fade. That way you get your education, keep your parents and flip the borg off at the same time.

Make sure not to leave any dub skidmarks in the driveway or on the street in front of the house. It will bring reproach on Joe Hoba if you do.

• freedom96
    freedom96

I actually want to go to bethel and check it out, after hearing all about it my entire life.

I love Blondies questions...... the looks on their faces must be priceless!

• tsunami_rid3r
    tsunami_rid3r

I'm 17, and the best way to get out is talk with your parents. The deal I have right now, is:

1)I can hang out with my worldly friends and have no curfue, only if I comment and participate a lot in the meetings
    2)I can live on the dorms in college, only if I attend the meetings back home with my parents.
    3)I can grow my hair out, wear the good clothes, only if I comment and participate a lot in the meetings
    4)I can go to college, only if I give the image that I'm still in the Truth.
    5)I can date, but I can't let anyone from the hall see me.

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

You know you were a teenage dub when your spring break involved a vacation at Brooklyn Bethel with your mom and a bunch of old ..... <people>

My condolences.

-Aude (Who actually enjoyed her trips to bethel every weekend for 3 years. But it was different then and did not involve overnight stays with old .... <people>

• Krystal
    Krystal

Hey,

I went there when I was your age... to be honest it isn't as bad as it seems. When I went, I had lunch with some of the editors of the watchtower, that was mighty interesting.

Prepare yourself. Ask good questions. Make it interesting.

Good Luck!

• Aude_Sapere
    Aude_Sapere

pardon the brief hijack...

I'm 17, and the best way to get out is talk with your parents. The deal I have right now, is:

1)I can hang out with my worldly friends and have no curfue, only if I comment and participate a lot in the meetings
    2)I can live on the dorms in college, only if I attend the meetings back home with my parents.
    3)I can grow my hair out, wear the good clothes, only if I comment and participate a lot in the meetings
    4)I can go to college, only if I give the image that I'm still in the Truth.
    5)I can date, but I can't let anyone from the hall see me.

Sorry, tsunami. Sounds like your parents are condoning and encouraging a 'Double Life'. Personally, I find it so much better to live an open, honest life with respect for differing views than to pretend to be something I'm not. I think your parents are doing you a severe dis-service. -Aude.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit