Nebuchadnezzar II Foundation Brick on eBay

by Black Sheep 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    You are bidding on a large and important brick inscription dedicated to the most famous of all Kings of Babylon - Nebuchadnezzar II, dating to 605 - 562 BC.

This inscribed brick mentions an important Babylonian Temple.

The importance of this inscribed Clay Record is reflected by the fact that the inscription has been personally deciphered by Professor W G Lambert of Birmingham University, an internationally renowned expert in this field.

Professor Lambert's hand written records read as follows:

"Brick Inscription of Nebuchadnezzar II, King of Babylon, 560 BC:

Nebuchadnezzar, King of Babylon, provisioner of Esagil and Ezida, prime son of Nabopolassar, King of Babylon, am I. Ebabbara, the Temple of Shamash in Larsa I restored as it was before, for Shamash, my Lord.

Cut from complete brick, but inscription complete."

Dimensions of brick: 8 1/4 inches by 5 1/2 inches by 7/8 of an inch thick.

Completely intact and unrestored - superb.

Provenance: Acquired from a retired English Gentleman. Collected 1960's from the London Art Market. Please compare a brick of the same inscription and apparently from the same temple (although fragmentary and only partially translated), previously in a Private New York collection and auctioned through Arteprimitivo, catalogue number 30, lot 370.

Babylonian Artefacts are extremely desirable and command very high prices at major North American Auction houses. This foundation Brick represents a particularly fascinating written account from one of the most famous of all ancient kings, Nebuchadnezzar II - a king whose exploits are extensively recorded in the Bible.

Although the book of Daniel depicts Nebuchadnezzar as a conceited and domineering king, even telling of him going mad and eating grass, he was in fact one of the greatest Babylonian and indeed Ancient Kings to ever reign. Under his rule, he sucessfully put down two Jewish revolts, and defeated in battle the Great Egyptian King Necho, thus becoming the undisputed master of Wester Asia. The time of Nebuchadnezzar was a golden age for Babylon, with its cosmopolitan status and Famous Hanging Gardens, it was arguably the finest City of the Ancient world.

Inferior quality foundation bricks, from lesser Babylonian rulers, reliably sell for over $5000 at top American auction houses. A brick of this quality and rarity should be insured for over $8000.

The temple of Shamash was located in southern Mesopotamia (modern-day Iraq). It was common practice for cunnning Kings such as Nebuchadnezzar to win favour by restoring well established temples such as that of Larsa, in so doing appeasing the gods and local population. To mark these restorations, the King would stamp special bricks with inscriptions outlining his full name and achievments, as with the present example.

Relevant Literature:

Cradle Of Civilization. By Samuel Noah Kramer and The Editors of Time Life Books. Publishers: Time Life International (Nederland) B V.

Good Luck with this treasure which is offered here in a NO RESERVE auction!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=73464&item=7313744069&rd=1

I've got a funny feeling that this item may sell for more than I'm prepared to pay.

Note: "Professor Lambert's hand written records read as follows: "Brick Inscription of Nebuchadnezzar II, King of Babylon, 560 BC"

Insight book vol 2 page 480: " Nebuchadnezzar ruled as king for 43 years (624-582 B.C.E.)"

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

I bid 1,300.00 and was outbid, so must be it's worth more than I've got

Rev

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I've been outbid too , but there are 3 days to think about it.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Got a hack saw?

we could split the cost :)

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

I think it's illegal to buy and sell antiquities.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I think it's removed from eBay as it well should.

I suspect it is either a fake (like many antiquities) or pilferred from Iraq.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It hasn't been removed

Search eBay for " Mesopotamian Temple Foundation Brick" if the link doesn't work.

It would make a great conversation starter when the dubbies are around, but I don't know that I would pay that much for it.

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome
    I suspect it is either a fake (like many antiquities) or pilferred from Iraq.

if it is genuine, i wonder when it could have been pilferred???

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

It can't be illegal, or else it wouldn't be there (anymore).

Ebay even invited these guys (supposedly) to this awards thingee:

We are proud and honoured to have been invited to sit at the eBay table at the British Antiques and Collectables Awards, at the Dorchester Hotel in London. The awards, saw a major eBay involvment. Congratulations to eBay and its 46 million users for maintaining its position as the world's premier online marketplace.
    If that's true and I would guess it is, I really don't think ebay would involve themselves in an international thievery ring.

Maybe this will work?
  • Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Iraq Museum International

http://www.baghdadmuseum.org/index0504.php

Artifacts on eBay Every Day Auction Giant's Policy: "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Below are cylinder seals, cuneiform tablets, foundation cones and other objects that are being offered for auction this moment on eBay. Thieves stole thousands of such objects from the Iraq Museum and continue to strip mine Iraq's archaeological sites for more. However, there is no warning on eBay about new global efforts to hunt down black market dealers and collectors in order to recover these artifacts.

In April, 2003, Kevin Pursglove, a spokesman for eBay, said it's possible items stolen from Iraq could end up on eBay, but eBay can't check every single sale on its site. "If an item like this appears on eBay and we are approached by the authorities, then we would remove the item from auction," he said. The company has 114 million registered members worldwide, and derives its income from fees charged to the sellers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit