The good news of the kingdom prevents suicide?

by JH 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JH
    JH

An elder once told me that many worldly people commit suicide because they don't know the good news of the kingdom. With all the bad news in the world, he said, many just give up and don't want to keep on living.

Personally, I know a few JW's who committed suicide. It wasn't because they didn't know anything about the Kingdom, but because they weren't happy being a JW.

I wonder if the JW's saved more people from suicide, with their good news, or did more people commit suicide because of them?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

JWs contribute to suicides in that they tend to abandon depressed people as spiritually weak. At a time when a person needs encouragement and help, the witnesses walk away and give up on the jw who mentions suicide.

JWs also contribute by over burdening the rank and file in an already stressful world. When the scripture where Jesus says to take his yoke because it is kindly and light used to come up, I used to think: "This yoke the WTBTS has placed on us is NOT LIGHT!!!!!!!!"

• seedy3
    seedy3

There have been quite a few other topics along this line. the research that has been shown is that depression and mental illness is much higher in the WT then in the general world. I would venture to guess that suicide would go along the same course as depression and such.

Seedy

• kls
    kls

Must have waited long enough i got another post .

When i was in the jws and believed all their BS ,i asked a elder about people that committ suicide and asked if a loved one was not a jw would that person who had taken their own life be able to come back and live in the new world.I was asking hoping that i would see my dad one day but the elder soon shot that down with his controlled mind ans said,,,,,, No! he took his own life and not being one of gods people ,there won't be no paradise for him.

This is one of many things that shows what the jw minset is.

PS .my dad was not a jw but did have mental problems but i believe if he had been a jw ,the pressures would have been much worse.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

the research that has been shown is that depression and mental illness is much higher in the WT then in the general world.

And the proof of this is where??

• JW Ben
    JW Ben

As I am a JW let me say that being a JW does not add to the suicide rate. How do I know? I have been on anti depressents for 9 years after I tried to self murder a few tears ago.

Depsesion is the cause of suicide. Many things cause depretion. There are 2 basic types. clinical depression and reactionary depression.

Reactionary depression is due to a circumstance, e.g. loss of job, a death of a closs friend, post natal expreince, a major accident etc.

Clinical depression can start from the above but is more often linked to a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Here in Australia there has been a TV compain for the last few years making people aware of the problem. Accourding to the campain 1 in every 4 Australians suffers some formof depression, but peopel do not want to recognise it for them selves. That was the reason behind the campain trying to get the community aware that this is a major problem. Most peopel will endure many years of deprssion not wanting to acknoweledge that they have it as there has been a stigma associated with it. This was my case. It wasnt untill I tried to take my own life that I finally realised that there was something wrong and sort prophessional help. With out the medication I do not function well. The problem is a chemical imbalance that needs to be treated by drugs.

From my personal experience I have talked to many JWs. there a some with clinical depession and there have been several with reactionary depression. Those with reactionary depression have all stated that the belief in the "New System" helped them fight the problem. For me I did not want to recognise the problem because I belived so strongly in the "New Sytem". It took an attempt on my life to wake me up.

• Dustin
    Dustin

I had many battles with the temptations of suicide as a JW teenager. Sometimes it seemed like the only solution. For any JW's out there who consider this the solution, trust me it isn't. You can leave. And you can find true happiness outside of the organization. PLEASE, if you have this problem go and get some professional help outside of the Society. I understand how it feels, but it's a fight that can be won.

Dustin

• Bryan
    Bryan

fleaman:

the research that has been shown is that depression and mental illness is much higher in the WT then in the general world.

And the proof of this is where??

This is a good peice.

http://www.premier1.net/~raines/mental.html

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

I know of jw's commiting suicide and many claim that the jw religion is what made them depressed in the first place!

It would be hard being a jw thats what I recon.

What if your family and your friends were all jw? then one day you get D.F what will that leave you now?

Your family and friends can't speak to you, and you would feel spiritually heartbroken

Also jw's don't attend school so you would also be left with no education, so of cause you would be suicidal.

Is it true that jw's don't believe in an afterlife and just think that you would just become uncouncious?

That sounds so peaceful! resting not worrying about a thing.

If you die you wont go to hell hey! there is no such thing!

So the situation is understandable

If you go to the forum p196.ezboard.com/bexjohavahswitnessforum Then you would see clearly the life of an DF Jw

I think the situation is sad, there is a good reason why the catholic church rarely excommunicates people My opinion is its not up to us to judge its up to God/jehovah

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

People shouldn't walk away from others in need, that is what jesus has been teaching us its written all over the bible!

Eg. the good samariten

Its sad that the jw's snob off those who are in need and think they are spiritually weak.

No other religin would do that! If you are suicidal it doesn't mean you are spiritually weak!

Those who doesn't help others are spiritually weak!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit