The book that changed my view on JW

by homme perdu 11 Replies latest watchtower bible

• JustMeNonJDub
    JustMeNonJDub

The book that did it for me was "Why You Should Believe in the Trinity" by Robert Bowman. This book gave historic Christian answers to the "Trinity" brochure that were too powerful to ignore. The other book was "Exposing Why You Should Believe in the Trinity" by Angel Arellano. This book should side-by-side photocopies of the Trinty brochure's quotations, and the actual quotations form the sources the WT cited. It was clear in my mind after reading this that the WTS was either guilty of extremely sloppy scholarship, or being totally dishonest in it's view of the Trinity. As far as Ron Rhodes book, I found it to be a great tool in working through doctrinal issues after a JW has come out of the mind control of the WT. I always teach people that they must deal with the issue of WT mind control and WT authority before one can be deprogramed of the WT dogma.

• willyloman
    willyloman

I'd have to say it was the "Isaiah" book that we studied a few years back, specifically the first one (Part I).

In the post-1995 era (following the "new light" about the "generation" doctrine, a huge shift in the dub paradigm), the Daniel and Isaiah books were extremely disappointing. I mean, was this all they had? With the generation teaching abandoned, where was all the necessary new information about how "true Christians" were supposed to live their lives with the distinct possiblity that the end would not come in their lifetime? They shifted the paradigm but then immediately drew the curtain and had us spend more than three years studying these three books which did nothing but attempt to reinforce the 1914/1919 timeline.

Somewhere in there, I realized the WTS was intellectually and morally bankrupt. In time, I learned they'd never really had any intellectual or moral currency -- we had loaned them ours.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit