New Around here

by MrsElmo253 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Welcome, MrsE~

This is a wonderful place to explore thoughts and feelings about religion, spirituality, and life in general, especially as related to JW doctrine!

An interesting view I found yesterday, and which seemed quite important to me as regards my own quest for understanding and belonging, is introduced in this quote:

In Taoism there's a famous saying that goes, "The Tao that can be spoken is not the ultimate Tao." Another way you could say that, although I've never seen it translated this way, is, "As soon as you begin to believe in something, then you can no longer see anything else." The truth you believe in and cling to makes you unavailable to hear anything new.

Holding on to beliefs limits our experience of life. That doesn't mean that beliefs or ideas or thinking is a problem; the stubborn attitude of having to have things be a particular way, grasping on to our beliefs and thoughts, all these cause the problems. To put it simply, using your belief system this way creates a situation in which you choose to be blind instead of being able to see, to be deaf instead of being able to hear, to be dead rather than alive, asleep rather than awake. [ http://www.iloveulove.com/spirituality/buddhist/pemachodron3.htm ]

It sounds like your own instincts are giving you a similar warning. I hope you listen.

Enjoy JWD...

~Merry

• Bryan
    Bryan

MrsElmo:

I posed the probability that creationism and evolutionary theory can co-exist peacefully via the archaeological evidence we HAVE.

Welcome... and I totally agree. The bible also says man is only 6000 years old, but we have evedence otherwise; this is another point I would like to have explained.

I look forward to more of your posts.

Bryan

Have You Seen My Mother

• AuntieJane
    AuntieJane

Welcome! I hope you spend time and read around on this site. And that you learn of the real harm done to so many by the JW teachings. You have an open mind, but believe me, it will be shut if you continue to listen to their indoctrination. That happened to a realtive of mine who told me she could NEVER follow them....her feet are now firmly planted. Believe me, they can twist and hit you hard. If you love your husband, you will shut the door to them when they come next time.

Shalom,

AuntieJ

• clementine
    clementine

welcome to the board MrsElmo!! :-))

• lilbit
    lilbit

hello Mrs Elmo hows Mr Elmo liking his haircut?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

You tickle me Elmo.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Hi Katlin,

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are fairly centered and very unlikely of being pursuaded from anything that you may believe without abundant evidence.

May I suggest that you simply relax and enjoy your experience with Jehovah's Witnesses. Consider it as research, and who knows perhaps you may want to write a book from an academic point of view about the religion some day. There is a great need for books written from an objective point of view and especially from an academic source. Some sociologists have cited how surprising it is that there is little written on the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I think that learning more about the religion, observing the JW culture and attending some gatherings, meetings, getting to know some will be very fruitful in your gaining some insight into your biological father's worldview and may explain some things that you might otherwise be puzzled about. I hope the end result will be that you will have a closer relationship with him as a product of your experience with the Witnesses.

As for any time of "indoctrinating" as you put it, I suggest that whenever you are approached to study or whatever, in any situation that you simply honestly state your views and beliefs and why (as you have done here in your initial post) and let them know that you are not interested in becoming one of Jehovah's Witnesses but that you are interested in learning more about them.

For the most part Jehovah's Witnesses are very good and moral people if maybe a bit boring at times. As with all churches and groups there are some members that are real jerks or worse but they are just people after all and not immune from reality.

But the JW culture is a really unique and fascinating one and I think you will really enjoy studying it.

take care,

Eduardo

PS: the in depth exposure to the "problems/lies/etc." that you mentioned in your post is far too much for any one response. Here at JWD you will get a lot of info on different things but don't limit yourself to this forum. You can find many polemic and apologetic sites/forums available on the Net and I encourage you to seek out many to round out your research.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Welcome, Katlin.

If you need religion, then why not make truth your home. What is more real and actual (true) than this moment? What is closer and more alive than the sense of Being within you? Make this, your Tabernacle and place of meeting and communion. Be present with Life, and honor it with your beautiful attention.

"I, am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the father except through me." Such guidance belongs to everyone. You, are that "I". Go deeper within and through, and see. Don't need religion for that. Don't need anything.

j

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit