War Bonds WW2 Australia

by JW83 17 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• sf
    sf

Interesting. Incidently, didn't Jaracz go to Australia in the early 50's for reasons still unknown?

Found these items too:

[PDF] recordSArchives newsletter July 2002
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
    ... Cross, Peter J. Crush, Peter Donovan,. Ruth Donovan, Joan Durdin, June.
    Edwards, William Edwards, Julie-Ann ... Round, Geoffrey Speirs, Peter Strawhan, ...
    www.archives.sa.gov.au/files/ publications_newsletter_2002_jul.pdf - Similar pages

[PDF] BROADCASTING POLICY IN AUSTRALIA Political Influences and the ...
    File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
    ... The same is true of Patti Crocker's work, and that part of Leslie Rees' book
    ... These stations were associated with the Jehovah's Witnesses and were ...
    www.newcastle.edu.au/services/library/adt/ uploads/approved/adt-NNCU20021202.031413/public/02whole.pdf - Similar pages

sKally

• Little Bo Peep
    Little Bo Peep

I did look up your reference in my old 1983 Yearbook, pages 95-99. The information is dealing with some commercial activities during "the previous five years". It said these provided some full-timers with work during the "ban". They said, "the organization had actually gone too far by establishing commercial enterprises, and this had a disturbing effect on many brothers." There was a resolution at the assemblies that year "confessing their sins" before Jehovah and Jesus. No details were gives as to what these commercial enterprises were, and nothing said about any war bonds being purchased. It basically ended with the "aim was to work hard to counter the depressed spirit many brothers felt because of the events of the World War II years".

• JW83
    JW83

That's right, Little Bo Peep. The commercial interests & the war bonds are entirely separate matters. The commercial interests including printeries, which helped the dubs keep publishing throughout the ban, & also canteens etc. The Witnesses owned or controlled 4 radio stations, which were implicated in 'suspicious' broadcasts & was the ostensible reason for the banning. The government gave their licences away & by the end of the ban the dubs decided to relinquish radio broadcasting in Australia, as well as other commercial interests. If anyone is interested, I am about to finish writing an honours thesis on the war time ban of Jehovah's Witnesses in Australia, which looks at all these issues, & is a very interesting read, if I say so myself! This is the most scandalous thing I came up with, but there are lots of minor idiotic things, too! I'm not sure whether I will be allowed to put the thesis up on web (I guess not) but I'm planning to publish an article at some stage, & if so I will post that on here! Thanks for being interested! Jayne

• sf
    sf

JW83,

Did you receive a PM from me yet? I sent it yesterday re: this topic. I asked if you had the full name of Rees. Do you?

sKally

• alw
    alw

jw83, you said you found in your research some idiotic things the jws were involved with, now im curious,any funny ones??

doing a thesis eh! your parents must be very proud !!

free woman 16 welcome to the board,whats the weather like in w.a.?

mr.alw

• IT Support
    IT Support

Jayne,

This information is taken from thesis by Peter Strawhan, 1984, re JWs in Australia in WW2.

Is there an online reference for this?

Rees was head of JWs in Australia

Is this Phil Rees?

Strawhan got his information from gov files (AA (SA) AP538/1, SA29378)

Are these online? If not, are you planning on getting a copy of these? If so, would you be able to scan and post them?

Thanks!

• JW83
    JW83

Hi, sorry, I did send a pm to sf.

Rees is Phillip D Rees, head of WT in Aus from about 1944. Peter Strawhan's thesis is the property of Flinders University, SA, & you can purchase a copy for about $70. He also wrote an article published in 'Historical Studies', Vol 21, No 85, October 1985, pp 550-564, entitled 'The Closure of Radio 5KA, January 1941', which may be available online (but definitely through university lending) but doesn't add anything. The archives he referenced have to be viewed physically - they are in South Australia. That is what historians are for!! ;)

Hope this helps!

Jayne

• Bangalore
    Bangalore

Bttt.

Bangalore

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit