my boyfriend

by Teanie 10 Replies latest social relationships

• Teanie
    Teanie

Hello all.

I'm the farthest this from a Jehovah's Witness, I'm Atheist. But my boyfriend is a Jehovah?s Witness and we have been dating for about a year, and I love him so much. I?ve never felt this way about anyone before. The fact that he won?t reveal me to his mother bothers me?but that is the least of my worries. I don?t know what he is willing (and able I guess) to do with me. And no, I don?t only mean sexually. Id like to take a step up in our relationship..but I..well don?t even really know what I?m getting at here. I?m seeking guidance really.

Thanks

• beebee
    beebee

Do a search on this site and find some of the threads on non-jw's dating a witness. In most cases, you're looking at a situation that will not ever work, but...there are some big ifs that may improve the odds a bit in your favor:

1. How old are you? Consenting adults probably have a better chance.
    2. How active is he?
    3. Does he believe it is "the truth?"
    4. How much does he talk about his faith, its practices and rules?
    5. How close is he to his family?
    6. Does he have a lot of "worldly" (defined as not JW) friends?
    7. Has he told you at all what his intentions are? Has he discussed marriage with you? What has he said?

JWs are not supposed to date unless seeking a spouse, and are strongly discouraged from dating non-witnesses. They are NOT to have premarital sex and many sexual acts performed by the general population are, at best, strongly discouraged. They also can't smoke, do drugs, get tatoos or celebrate birthdays or holidays.

If he is doing any of those things, but is still hiding you from the JW side of his life, there are two common possibilities -1. he has doubts he wants to stay in but isn't completely ready to leave, or 2. he's leading a double life which is common, but could spell disaster for him when he is found out (and most likely he will because the group encourages spying and tattling) so he is going to continue to hide you.

Your post implies you are having sex. If they know about it, he may be disfellowshipped (excommunicated). If this happens, his family and other members of the cult will shun him. In other words, he runs a very real risk of losing everyone else he cares about.

So, your answers to the above questions make a huge difference, because in a nutshell, his relationship with you is forbidden and can cost him dearly, so odds are, given he's hiding your existence, your relationship has no future.

Give us more details, and cruise the site. You will get better ideas and perhaps even figure out what, if any, you can do to help him ditch the cult (a tough thing to make happen).

Best of luck.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Welcome, Teanie!

Here's a thread you might want to check out while you are here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/20/78118/1.ashx

And definitely hang around for a bit and see what you can pick up from those who will answer your post here on this thread.

Sure hope things work out happily for you...

~Merry

• Teanie
    Teanie

1. I'll be 19 in early May, he is a year older than me
    2. He is very active
    3. I guess..?
    4. He doesn't really talk tome that much about it..(he knows i dont want 2 hear it)
    5. HE is very very close with most of his family. Not his dad,his parentssplit up.
    6. He has them, but only in school. I'm one of the few he socializes with.
    7. No, but I'm guessing He'd try to convert me. And if I didn't, any children would have to be JW. I think an okay compromise is He can b JW, i can b Atheist. Let any possible children pick. I'd go for having them be JW, but I'd want to celebrate Birthdays adnChristmas. I don'tcelebrate xmas,by the Protestant fmaily does.

I'e only see his mother a few times, once we were holding hands and I got the worst look ever. She'd neevr accept me. I'm a smoking, bi-sexual, non-believer. I'd decided to sit down and have a talk with him on Monday...that gives me threedays to coem up with something

• avishai
    avishai

Read here

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/32/2.ashx

Then here

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/32/1.ashx

Then Run. Sorry, if he's very active, and close to his family, and you are the wonderful free spirit you say, run. They hate free spiriit's. They hate freedom. They hate bisexuality, homosexuality, and anyone that is'nt them. They are an extremist, hate filled, child killing, child molester protecting cult. Run like your butt is on fire and the nearest water is a mile away.

• beebee
    beebee

Read some of the threads of people who are not witnesses married to witnesses; it's a very tough road and one I suspect none of them would recommend going into. Dubdom for kids, I think most on this board would agree, is hell.

Your answers do not sound optimistic. He will HAVE to try to convert you both to maintain good standing with his active family and the congregation, AND because if he truly loves you, he believes he must because those that do not believe will be destroyed at Armageddon which they believe is coming any day now. If he loves you, he doesn't want you destroyed; it sounds logical until you realize how wrong it is.

You should also realize that in dubdom, the man is the supreme ruler of the household and that according to the group, your opinion doesn't count; even more true if you are not in the "troof."

It sounds like he is young and (man I hate it when I make sexist comments) and typically male. Right now he's tasting the worldly forbidden fruit and liking it, but given how little of his world he has even exposed to you it is pretty clear looking in from the outside at your relationship that he is not serious. (I say this based also on 45 years of watching people and relationships and some patterns are so easy to spot).

Remember that love isn't rational, and if you feel it, it is real and that he doesn't have to be a bad person to be the wrong one. If he is truly an active and dedicated dub, you are not wife material for him. He knows it, and what little interaction you've had with his mother is added proof. For him to love you would require him to turn away from everyone else he loves, and if he truly believes that they hold the "troof" then he is not going to walk away from that easily.

Don't let him convince you it isn't a cult; it is. A quick study on what defines a cult will point this out to you, but they are brainwashed to shut down completely when anyone challenges the doctrine. That's why it is so hard to pull someone out.

When you talk, you need to ask the painful questions; how serious is he about his religion? Where does he see his life going? and the really scary one, where does he see you fitting in?

At 20 he may or may not be ready to consider marriage, but he probably is old enough to know if he wants in or out of the dubs. (though this may change at some later date). Don't let him waffle on you. It is entirely possible he doesn't want to lose you either, but I will tell you that if you want more from him, or from anyone else, you will have to ask for it, and at times insist to get it. If you get something wishy-washy like "I want you and them too" or "I don't know," the most protective thing you can do for your own heart is to walk away and suggest that perhaps he should look you up when he knows what he wants.

As far as considering conversion, it is my opinion that no one should change religions to please another, but rather only because it is truly right for them; but in this case, this is no religion, it is a mind-controlling, domineering and abusive cult that will intrude upon and control every aspect of your life. If you convert, they will slowly encourage you to cut off everyone you know and love who isn't "in" and demand every available second of your time "to spread the word." They will promise you eternal life if you obey blindly, never question and do everything they do perfectly. Except that humans aren't perfect and thus you will perpetually be reminded of your failings.

I once posted on this site a list of warning signs that you might be in an abusive relationship that I pulled off the Oprah website (written by an expert); all but a few of the warning signs applied to the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I know it is so easy to say when you are an outsider looking in (to a relationship) and that it isn't my heart at risk, but as someone who has daughter's your age, I'd say throw this fishy back and find you one that is under his own control. You are far too young to commit your heart and possibly your life to someone who will always place you second (or lower) in his life.

I wish you well and heartache on nobody.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Teanie,

Congratulations in experiencing that type of love for another human being. Sincerely. It's such a magical emotion. Being in love is wonderful!

At any rate, not getting off what I really came here to say. He must not be serious about being a JW. Devout JWs date, with intention to marry only, other devout JWs.

If he says he's a JW, he means 'in name only'. There are many of us inside the WTBTS leading a double life. He happens to be one of them.

Proceed with caution. I warn you that many inside the religion leading a double life have left many a boy/girlfriend high and dry when asked to choose between the WTBTS affiliation and that other person.

Hope your relationship goes well.

DY

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    I think an okay compromise is He can b JW, i can b Atheist. Let any possible children pick. I'd go for having them be JW, but I'd want to celebrate Birthdays adnChristmas. I don'tcelebrate xmas,by the Protestant fmaily does.

You don't have any of these options. The two biggest things that are working against you are:

1) He's a JW
    2) He's a male JW

Since he's male, he is supposed to be the head of the household. Whatever he says is supposed to go.

He also has an "obligation" to raise his children as JWs. That means your children cannot pick which religion they want to be in. They will be forced by him to attend all the meetings, go door to door, and eventually become baptized. Your opinion doesn't matter for the two following reasons:

1) His love for "Jehovah and his righteous Organization" comes before you do
    2) You're not a JW.

You're going to have many problems arise if you decide to pursue a relationship with him. You'll be required to marry him if you wish to have sex (or continue having sex) with him. If you don't comply, you'll be tossed out of his life like useless trash.

• Teanie
    Teanie

Yeah....thanks eveyrone.

I know what I Should do. I'm still going to try to tlak to him on Monday adnsewhat happens. I'll keep you all posted

• ShadowX
    ShadowX

Well if you want to have sex once a month and then don't mind being lectured about it I'd say, may the force be with you!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit