How To Speak English..

by Englishman 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

..Like the English.

Most Brits use slang and colloquialisms as part of their everyday life. Even JW's use the less offensive terms.

I was surprised that many Americans hadn't heard of the term "loo" before. Even JW's call it that, although I doubt if they'd refer to the loo as the "bog". That would be far too offensive for their delicate ears.

Anyway, just to make life easier on this multi-cultural (hah!) board, I've found an ideal website that translates English slang into what most people can understand more easily. Here it is:

A very good site for understanding Brit slang.

Enjoy!

Englishman.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    although I doubt if they'd refer to the loo as the "bog". That would be far too offensive for their delicate ears.

So what you are saying is that the borg don't use the bog, but the dubs do use the loo.

• franklin J
    franklin J

Hey Mike,

some of us HAVE seen "My Fair Lady"....

....and all of us Americans posting on this forum just love to hear "The Kings English" spoken. As for the other accents in the UK; well, no thank you. We have enough accents of our own.

• Valis
    Valis

at least this word means the same thing as in "Englishman's a right bastard!"

• talesin
    talesin

Yes, we wouldn't want anyone to get 'knocked up in the morning' without knowing what it means.

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Yeah we speak American not English. (There was a nice series of "Do you Speak American?" on TV recently. Very interesting to see all of the different dialects, slang and colloqualisms (sp?) around the country.)

-Eduardo

• Preston
    Preston

Good, cause I want to say "Bollocks!" properly just like Angharad

- Preston

• The Chuckler
    The Chuckler

I think you Americans would have a totally different interpretation of "going outside to smoke a fag" than us Brits. :-)

• zman
    zman

LOL, I love "My Fair Lady"!!!!! Freddy Eynsford-Hill 'On the street where you live' is a classic!!!!!

thx eman I know now Simon called me a....."A fool, Idiot or Objectionable person. Originally means Buttocks." (pratt)

Well I tell you, I would just call them a 'A$$' in America. LMAO *loves the DRAMA*

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I like how the Britties say "Brilliant!". It's such a cute saying. I was thinking of adopting it, but thought it might sound strange for a murrikin to say it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit