Meaning of Amen

by finnrot 14 Replies latest jw friends

• kls
    kls

I always thought it meant that you were in agreement with what was said in the prayer. Yes Love11 that is what is was taught as a Catholic.

• lilbit
    lilbit

I was taught that it ment you agreed with whatever was said in the prayer. Hence the reason I havent said it at any of the meetings Ive been to in the past few years

• love11
    love11

kls- My dad was raised as a Lutheran. Maybe he was mixing in both religious beliefs into my "molding". hahaha

I googled it- here ya' go:

Amen is derived from the root [aman], which means to be firm (i.e., permanent), and thus by implication, to be true or faithful. When we see the word Amen in scripture, it is indicating that which is truth, or said faithfully. www.mountainretreatorg.net/faq/amen.html - 12k

The word Amen is related to the the Hebrew word "Emunah" that means faith and/or belief. Therefore reciting Amen to a blessing or a prayer demonstrates a statement of affirmation that the blessing is true and hope that the prayer will be answered.www.geocities.com/buddychai/Religion/Amen.html - 6k

The word "amen" comes from a Hebrew root which in its various verbal forms can mean: to support, to be loyal, to be certain, and to place faith in. The cognate particle "amen" is commonly translated as "truly."[1] It is remarkable that this word is generally not translated in the (Greek) New Testament. The Greek speaking churches in the first century after Christ, appear to have been confronted with a Hebrew word that they could not easily translate.www.opc.org/OS/html/V7/4d.html - 19k

A·men The Egyptian god of life and reproduction, represented as a man with a ram's head. http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=amen

Hey... it looks like everyone else has a different meaning for amen too!

• finnrot
    finnrot

LOL...I couldn't have been more wrong...oops

Well, I do love Star Trek though. My heart will always tell me that my first love is with the original Star Trek that I watched as a child, but I must admit that the Star Trek with Picard was the best of them all.

Make it so!!...damn, it gives me douche chills. I always lusted after 7 of 9. Damn what a killer body. but after comparing the bodies of the 7 of 9 chick and Justine Blaylock, WOW!!!, Justine is the schizztits!!! What a body!!! She is definitely the best Star Trek package ever.

I am not a full fledged Trekkie, but I did attend a Star Trek convention in San Francisco. William Shatner came out on stage and he looked like a fat load. He talked a bit, and it seemed that he was talking down to us, and just was there to collect his paycheck. I really did enjoy looking at all the uber geeks at the convention though...lol.

They were selling shit from the stage, I thought that was real cheesy.

-fin

• Brummie
    Brummie

Yeah as a JW I was taught it meant "so be it", it was the agreement at the end of a prayer. If we didnt say "Amen" it meant that we didnt agree.

Brummie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit