How do you know when you've found your calling?

by love11 14 Replies latest jw friends

• love11
    love11

When I first left the jw's I didn't know what I wanted or who I was. I've went through about 100 different career options that I liked. I think that I've finally narrowed it down (for the millionth time) to pick this one career field- psychology. I always am wondering if I'm making the right decision. If only I could make a decision, I know I have the power to make it happen. I think in the past I was trying to settle on a career with less schooling. Also, I have a love for the arts but I don't want to end up as a starving artist.

Has anyone else felt this torn?

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

You will know when you no longer need ask the question.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

One of the best and most practical authors to read on this subject is Barbara Sher.

Gently Feral

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

You must go with what you are interested in before anything else...thats the key; i have been where you are now although much younger...make your decision and stick to it...even if you dont pursue a career in what you studied you will be much more employable given you had seen a project through to completion academically and acquired the academic skills needed in todays world.

DB

• Big Dog
    Big Dog

Love11, that's not just a JW thing, most people have a hard time deciding what to do when they grow up. There are some folks that just know from a very young age what they want to do and never waver, while most knock around a while before finding their niche and for many of us there is always the question as to what if I had done this or that, sort of like with relationships sometimes, so many choices so little time. I picked one of the careers that I was always interested in, but there are plenty of others that I would love to take a stab at. Maybe you can try to combine the things you like the most, become a shrink who specializes in working with artists (just make sure that they are not all starving so you can make a decent living).

• Golf
  • Golf
    Golf

When my mom and dad decided to have another child.

Big dog had some interesting thoughts. Yeah, 'combine' your talents. Follow your dreams.

Golf

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

It's normal to be afraid of making a wrong decision, especially one that will take you time to complete. You can get into what you like, and find ways to work in other classes that have more sellability when you finish school. Like a 2nd major.

Good luck.

Bren

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

PS sometimes any decision is the right one. It means you are in movement instead of standing still. When you are in movement, in action, you are better able to respond to what comes your way. This is sport psychology developed initially for tennis, that translates to life.

• fairchild
    fairchild

Anything you do will have advantages as well as disadvantages, it's that simple. It is good to choose education in a certain field, but it will by no means guarantee that you will end up with a job you like. Also, what might be your 'calling' today could very well no longer be your 'calling' tomorrow. Time and circumstances can develop a change of heart. Some people never feel their calling, other people's calling screams so loudly at them, they just can't ignore it. I went to college to become a hospice nurse, knowing that I wanted to be a magician. I was on the road with my magic show less than two weeks after leaving college.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit