Gave 586/587 evidence to elder today

by SeymourButts 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Thanks for bringing this experience to the forum! I'm relatively new to the board and hadn't seen Alleymoms thread. Really great stuff, it's nice to know there may be hope for cracking those dyed-in-the-wools after all. When I end up having to discuss this with my Elder father I'm calling you!

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

Greetings!

I know it isn't necessary for the majority of readers/visitors/participants on this site but for those that may be lurking this thread, I thought that I would just point out regarding the excerpted Society's explanation above.

The 70 years of servitude/desolation referred to in Chronicles and Jeremiah is NOT INCONSISTENT with an actual destruction date of 596/7 BCE of Jerusalem.

If one reads both scriptures cited in the article in context then one easily sees that in Chronicles it is plainly referring to the first deportation of captives from Jerusalem to Babylon and in Jeremiah it is referring to the Babylonian warring and subjugation of all of the lands around Judea. Both of these events occurred in the early reign of Nebuchadrezzar/Nebuchanezzar between 607-604 BC in his campaign against this area. The first deportation of the conquered included the notables of the city of Jerusalem including Daniel and the king Jehoiakim. Nebuchadrezzar set up Zedikiah as a puppet King. Eleven (11) years later Zedekiah rebelled and so about 593 Babylon renewed its subjugation of Judea ultimately resulting in the beseiging of Jerusalem and razing of most of the city in 587/6.

The point is that when Chronicles or Jeremiah or Daniel refer to the 70 years prophecy/references ("at Babylon') these are correct BUT the Society wants the membership to believe that this means 70 years since the DESTRUCTION of the city of Jerusalem but what the scriptures actually refer to is the beginning of the bondage or subjugation to Babylonian/Chaldean rule.

-Eduardo

• VM44
    VM44

It is interesting to check when the last time the Watcthower Society went into the details of the date 607 BCE with respect to Babylonian chronology.

The latest article on 607 chronology was written for the Insight books, published in 1988!!!

So, 17 years with no article on Babylonian chronology! No attempt to justify the year, just "Jerusalem fell in 607 BCE" stated over and over again in books and articles with no proof!

They don't dare try to prove the date now....too much evidence has accumulated over the years against it.

Believing in the incorrect year 607 BCE is now a requirement to being a Jehovah's Witness.

--VM44

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

Hi Mamacat,

Good find from the 72 Awake! If you have not already read it, the book Gentile Times Reconsidered by Carl Olaf Jonnson completely rips the Society's notions apart, and proves 586 bc, including the 70 year issue. - Jim W.

• Will Power
    Will Power

"Believing in the incorrect year 607 BCE is now a requirement to being a Jehovah's Witness." and that would be one of those teachings UNIQUE to JWs that is the blanket statement at baptism.

Criminal

sincerely,
    will

• outnfree
    outnfree

ScholarJW -

I remember doing research on this matter about 4 years ago, and have since destroyed my files, since they served their purpose in getting me OUTnfree , but I do recall that even Orthodox Jewry puts the date of the destruction of Jerusalem at 587/6 BCE.

Seymour -

Good for you! There is an abundance of evidence out there that the Society is wrong! wrong! wrong! in its chronology and if your relatives are unhappy as you say, and honest, and obviously good-hearted (They still associate with you, don't they?), then you may successfully spring them from the clutches of the knowingly deceitful WT Society leadership.

• toreador
    toreador

Good Job!

• TheListener
    TheListener

What you did takes real courage. You took a big risk and I hope everything works out well. I hope to have the same courage one day.

Congrats!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit