How Do I Tell My Mom

by Moridin 20 Replies latest social family

• Moridin
    Moridin

I had considered telling her about some of the pagan traditions that jws follow with weddings to ease the edge a little bit. Thanks for the list of things that you put Scully. She attended my first wedding to my then "worldly" girlfriend. She wasn't too keen on the idea then with having a female justice of the peace perform the wedding. I can just imagine how she'll feel with a Wiccan High Priestess performing the rites at this Handfasting. JWbot there are certain rites that will be performed that will definetly set the ceremony apart from a traditional wedding. If I could get away with not telling her about it I would, but I don't feel right having her show up knowing she will be offended and make a scene by leaving. I know that once she finds out that I'm a witch that she will disown me so I guess it's just a matter of when to tell her and if I should drag this out for my own sake or just get it done and over with.

Brad

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Hi Brad,

Maybe you could just feed her a bit of info at a time. e.g. "The ceremony will have more pagan rites than a JW wedding!"

I'm sure it will come as a bit of a shock. Your job is to inform her as gently as possible.

If you are sure that she will have problems at the wedding then you should advise her of that, but still invite her, telling her that you do understand if she doesn't want to attend.

It's a tough one, but you should think about getting on with it as soon as possible so that she can get used to the idea before the wedding.

And don't forget to tell her you love her

BTW, congratulations. I wish you and your new wife all the best for the future.

Chris

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Moridin,

You, just like my sister, have gone waaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy off the deep end with that silly Wicca belief. Your mother will be very heart-broken.

When my sister told me about being a Wiccan, I went on the net and read up a whole lot of stuff about it, and believe me it's not a pretty picture.

Ultimately, I came to the conclusion that as much pot as my sister smoked during her young/stupid years, and still continues to smoke every once in a while, it's not strange at all that she arrived at such a senseless form of religion.

DY

• Moridin
    Moridin

Doubtfully Yours,

First off I didn't start this thread to talk about religion and to get insulted like a jw insults other religions. I didn't say your religion was senseless so don't go bashing mine. It's obvious from your response that you probably read about wicca mostly from christian based sites so you didn't learn anything truthful any way. By the way i'm not a pot smoker and am actually an intelligent individual that thinks clearly and studies things through before making a decision about anything so my mind was not clouded when deciding to study wicca.

Brad

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

My sister holds a Master's Degree and still smokes pot sporadically.

Just forget it. I'm sure you won't agree of your faith's shortcomings anymore than any JW will agree with theirs. The thing is that your mother will be extremelly heartbroken, but in the event she's a devout JW she'll get over it fairly fast while at the same time writing you off for joining a religion from the dark side.

DY

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

She's going to be offended regardless because it isn't a JW wedding. If she's agreed to go, she'll be expecting a few things that will be "offensive" or "pagan". Also, you're not responsible for the way your mother reacts to the wedding. She's already agreed to come, therefore anything that would be "troubling to her conscience" is her own personal problem. You're not forcing your beliefs down her throat since she AGREED to come.

Don't tell her anything about the ceremony unless she's contributing to the plans.

• avishai
    avishai

DY what's your religion?

• adelmaal
    adelmaal

Think about it. Do JWs warn you about their wedding practices prior to your going? No... So why should you be required to warn your mom. This is your day. She either wants to be a part of it or does not.

I say, "Invite her and leave it at that."

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I'm a tolerant of many, joiner of none.

Just can't comprehend how others abandon the JWs to join other even weirder cults/religions/movements/whatever you want to call them.

Forget it you all. Just forget the whole thing. We won't agree.

DY

• Carmel
    Carmel

will you have her sit in a "wicker" chair???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit