Young People Ask: How Can I Make Real Friends?

by seattleniceguy 18 Replies latest jw friends

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

My friends were doing some spring cleaning the other day and they found an old copy of this video. For grins, we decided to toss back a Coke and whiskey or two and watch it. It was a blast! That movie is one of the most insane pieces of propaganda you will ever see. Some of the technical aspects are pretty good too, especially the parts shot in film. But wow, some of the writing was just incredible! We would look at each other in disbelief, thinking, "Did they really just say that?"

One of the most interesting aspects of the video was the modern-day Dinah story that comprises the second half. As a piece of propaganda, I must say it was masterful. There were tons of places where the viewer was clearly expected to nod approvingly or (much more often) humph in righteous disapproval. For example, when a girl in school asks our heroine for help with her homework assignment, the conversation goes like this:

Worldly girl: Like, I so need to get a good grade on this assignment! You have to help me.

Witness girl: Why do you need a good grade, are you failing?

Worldly girl: (scoffs) No, so I can get into college.

At this point, of course, it is painfully obvious that we the audience are expected to go, "Ohhhhh, college. Yep. Worldly. Bad. Makes sense that a worldly girl would want to go to college." They actually played the "college marks a person as worldly" card several times, which made me wonder what people think about the video when they see it now. Take the next scene for example, when our hero eats lunch with her three new worldy friends after being praised in class for her poem.

Girl 1: Oh my God, you have some real talent there. You could really do something with it!

Witness girl: Do something? Like what?

Girl 2: Hello? Scholarships!

Girl 3: Ca-reer!

Girl 4: Money?!

Girl 3: Boys!

Girl 4: Money!

Girls 3 and 4 high-five across the table as our heroine looks forlorn.

This scene really cracked me up. As if people would be high-fiving about that. And I love how they throw in scholarships and careers with the evil things that pursuing her talent could lead to. Yes, using your talents to actually do something with your life is obviously wrong. You can just see the spirits of hundreds of thousands of young Witnesses being crushed before your eyes.

Their depiction of non-Witnesses was really amusing. Throughout the drama, the kids at school were presented as witty, happy, comfortable with themselves, smart, and college-bound. Our heroine is portrayed as solitary and self-absorbed. She constantly wears a depressed face and looks off into the distance, seeming to hope for Armageddon to come and wipe her out. Seriously, I couldn't believe that this was their own depiction.

There were some other really funny scenes, like the total Leave It To Beaver introduction to our heroine's parents. The camera starts on the street close on a "Sold" real estate sign. As we pull back, we find Dad plucking it out of the ground, grunting charmingly as it comes loose. From the garden, Mom chides, "Honey, your back!" As we pan up to the bedroom window, our permanently depressed heroine casts her sad gaze into the distance.

The insert scenes from the high school hallway were great, too. In one, we see the English teacher step out from some side corridor with an pile of papers stuffed under his arm. As a young ruffian skateboards by, the papers are knocked into a chaotic flurry and our hapless teacher shouts powerlessly after the long-gone worldly kid.

Anyway, all in all, it was a great time. I highly recommend it if you want to review how crazy the Witnesses are. We're going to watch The Organization Behind the Name next. That one promises to be even better.

SNG

• MelbaToast
    MelbaToast

SNG, I always appreciated your intuitive posts, but really, what have you been smoken tonight? Must have been a really slow night for you to watch that I remember when that video first came out, and of courses, we had to watch it as SOON as it arrived from the lit counter It was nonsensical then, but even more surreal now. I would like to see it again, just for fun.

What a sick puppy I am, eh?

• love11
    love11

I'd like to see that video... for shits and giggles.

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

Man you have to do a critique of 'The Organization Behind the Name' next.. your review was great! I really wish I had kept those movies now.

GBL

• Flash
    Flash
    Young People Ask: How Can I Make Real Friends?

Just be yourself...Ohhhh, I forgot, your not allowed to!

The Organization Behind the Name

Yea, that ones always good for a laugh. My children always got sour-pussed when I'd rank on it while we were watching it. I wanted them to become 'Thinking Witnesses' not Kool-Aid drinkers.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist
    The insert scenes from the high school hallway were great, too. In one, we see the English teacher step out from some side corridor with an pile of papers stuffed under his arm. As a young ruffian skateboards by, the papers are knocked into a chaotic flurry and our hapless teacher shouts powerlessly after the long-gone worldly kid.

Yeah, like that would actually happend in high school.

As said before, I think you make a really interesting point: wordly = happy/well-adjusted jw = sad/lonely.

Maybe they're just breeding the next generation for reality and the fact that they better keep in line or lose their family.

• JW83
    JW83

LMAO, SNG! Great post! I just had to watch Purple Triangles & the one about the Soviet Union for my thesis, which were also nauseating!

• marked
    marked

Scoff if you must, but you have to admit that by Society standards, the production values on that thing were pretty damn high. Not Hollywood quality, mind you, but at least up to snuff with After School Special material. Christ, it was legions beyond any Drama I've ever seen.

'Member when that one worldly kid went to buy pot? (POT!!!) And the camera was all zoomed in on the background but you could still see all those blurry figures moving past the camera in the foreground? 'Member??? It was all like: "He's buying POT!!! Could he GET any more worldly? I mean, he's all buying POT!!! and check those blurry figures in the foreground!"

ART, it was!

marked of The So Flippantly Sarcastic It Obscures His Point class ?

• marked
    marked

Oh, and as for The Organization Behind The Name: even as a witness, I always hated the shot where the little girl skips to the mailbox to fetch the latest WT magazines.

Simultaneously exploitative and kinda creepy.

marked

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy
    Scoff if you must, but you have to admit that by Society standards, the production values on that thing were pretty damn high.

No, seriously, I agree. There was a clear delineation, though, between the scenes shot in video and those shot in film. I think an outside production company did the film stuff. There was this one sequence where a young inner-city kid comes home to his studio apartment, tosses his hat on the bed, and picks up his Bible to read. Although I thought the treatment of the subject material was totally unrealistic, I thought the shots were really good. There's this one wide shot of the kid sitting in his chair near the left edge of the frame. Across the room, on the right edge of the frame, we see the air conditioner rustling the curtain. It almost appeared to be overcranked just slightly, giving it a sort of dreamy quality.

I got the image of some young director working for a production company that was contracted by the WTS to do this sequence, trying his best to inject some creative life into an otherwise dead piece of propaganda. Whoever did those sequences honestly tried to do a lot with the material. It was really interesting to look at it that way.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit