Irish Poteen - Anyone tried it?

by New Worldly Translation 10 Replies latest social physical

• New Worldly Translation
    New Worldly Translation

I'm quite into spirits & liqueurs at the moment and always like to try a new tipple. This Irish Poteen 90% stuff has piqued my interest but I was wondering if anyone had ever tried it and what was it like? The strongest spirit I've had before was an Austrian drink called Stroh which wasn't that nice really and traded taste in favour of strength IMO.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Man 90% alcohol !. That's real high octane. You could fly a jet plane on that stuff. Not the stuff shooters would be made of I guess.

Strongest I tried was Bacardi 151 proof rum.

New Worldly Translation
    Not the stuff shooters would be made of I guess

Yeah, that's what I thought, that you'd have to mix it or dilute it to such an extent you wouldn't be able to taste it.

I've never tried Bacardi 151 but I've heard it's a potent tipple to say the least.

• franklin J
    franklin J

never heard of the stuff; but I will look for it and try it.

• talesin
    talesin

We used to go to Quebec and buy Alcool, it was 90%,,,, omg ,,, potent stuff .... we just used it to make punch! Tastes like good moonshine.

never heard of this stuff, , but I will check the NSLC

--- imagine the Irish coffee you could make w/ that!

mmmmm tal

New Worldly Translation

Hey Frank, you volunteering to be my taster for that rocket fuel? You're a brave man

Don't want to get you into trouble with the wife though when she sees you in a stupor on the sofa

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I've had poteen a couple of times. Can't say that I really enjoyed it much. It is basically a moonshiney version of really strong vodka. I do like Stroh rum though. (it tastes like butterscotch.) Makes really good spanish coffees.

• mustang
    mustang

I used to get "neutral grain spirits" in Mexico: that's high 90's %, 190+ proof stuff. I would toss down a shot and toss the second shot in the fireplace - ka-BOOM!!!!

You can also strike a match to them and dump the flaming mixture into your coffee.

You won't make a practice of using this stuff unless you are a real "alky".

These "high vodka's" & rums really don't have any taste, they are just pure SOLVENT!!! Lower powered, mixed drinks are much more interesting, after the novelty wears off.

BTW, @ about 95% or higher, the alcohol starts pulling moisture out of the air and "self-diluting". So, you can't really achieve "absolute alcohol" outside of laboratory conditions.

Mustang

• Seven
    Seven

I consumed one glass from the little brown jug(a gift from Ireland). I experienced "lost time." lol, never again.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Then stick to the Cratur, the best thing in nature
    For sinkin' your sorrows and raisin' your joys.
    Oh what botherations no bolt to the nation
    Can bring consolation like Poteen me boys.

Larry O'Gaff's (click on "Comments" to see the rest of the lyrics)

gently feral

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit